HybridZ

Too smooth too paint

staledale

Has anyone used MIRKA ABRALON sanding disc to prep for paint? I've used them for buffing out with 1000, 2000, then 4000 grit, but today I tried 500grit for preping a hood for clear coating. The hood had a lot of dirt in it so I DA it with the Abralon wet. There's not enough O's in smooooth to describe the finish. When I wet wiped it the water beaded up like there was wax on it. I wipe it down before with grease and wax remover and was told it has never been waxed since it was painted. Noticed that where I hand sanded with 600 the water didn't bead up. I chickened out and redid the whole hood with grease and wax remover and 600 grit, I'll paint tomorrow. Now I liked using the DA so much easier on the back but will it work for painting? They make it in a 320 grit also. Anyone have experience with Mirka Abralon for prep work?

thanks Stale

Just curious, what type DA you using? Is it spitting oily air onto the surface? Do you mean after degreasing, the water beaded up? You can never be too clean when preping for paint. My experience is that beading results from reduced surface tension usually caused by oil/wax or other contaminant OR a REALLY Smoooooth surface. Even when I went to handsand with 2000 I don't recall it ever beading; the water more or less sheened off. Foggy memory though.

If it were me, I'd do an inconspicuous test panel and see how it goes. Funny thing when I did my Z was, the part I cared least about turned out the best! The lower valence underneath the rear bumper turned out gorgeous. What's sick is I spent all this time on the body work because I wanted black glass, and now after seeing pics of Scottie's GNZ I like the flat black SR-71 Darth Vader look. Ahhh... if only they sold that wonderful radar absorbing paint.

Anyhow, usually 500-600 hand wetsand is good to go. I never trusted DA enough for topcoat type work, but I'm all for saving tedious hand sanding. I'd like to give it a shot when/if I shoot my car again. Give us some pics if you don't mind :)

Hi Ernie,

Will, I hand sanded with 600 and cleared it. Came out nice other than the swarm of gnats that landed after I was done. Like giant fly paper. At least they're on top. Mirka Abralon makes a 360 I'm going to try. Man does it leave a nice smooth finish. When I use the 1000,2000 and 4000 buffing is so easy.

DamonZ, No there was no oil from the DA, It just leaves such a smooth surface you won't believe. Thanks for the input guys.

Stale