HybridZ

More engine woes...

Guest iceickle

Guest iceickle

I've performed a primitive leakdown test on two of my problematic cylinders- i had the rocker cover off so i could see if it was TDC on the compression stroke (which both were). What i heard after pressurising the cylider was the air leaking. The sound came from somewhere near the front of the engine, i thought it was coming up the front where the timing chains are. Would this indicate bad rings? I suspect it would, along with oil in the spark plug holes of those cylinders.

If thats the case i guess ill have to rebuild it?might take a while. :( Also more bad news, i was properly configuring my SU carbs (cleaning etc, fixing sticky choke problems), i was blowing through the fuel inlet (after cleaning it!!) on the rear carb and thought it was way too restrictive, so i dissembled the float assembly, and managed to pull the tube out of the bottom after unscrewing the plug. I assembled it, with no noticible inprovement (hooray for a waste of time). After getting the engine going i noticed a fuel leak. A very weak tug on that fuel line going to the float chamber, and the bloody tube came out in my hand. So its screwed, pretty much. The rubber must have been so old it was destroyed when i pulled it off.

So i need a new tube, but i have no idea how the other end of the tube comes off the nozzle, it just goes in there and theres a ring of metal around the base of the nozzle. Any ideas? Also dont know where i could source a new one.

I'm having so many problems here. I hope your not too annoyed at my lack of knowledge. Your help is really appreciated.

PS. these floats seem to be non-adjustable (theres no bendable arm as in the FSM). both have different mechanisms to shut off fuel flow, they both work, but im thinking one better than the other.

Guest iceickle

Thanks, but i woudlnt have gotten this far without ztherapy :D

Bit the bullet today after doing a compression test... the figures were (From 1 to 6) 148,148,150,140,155,145 psi. So YAY i dont have to do a rebuild. I took the carbs into town today, will get both rebuilt for AUS$100, cheap as. Considering he was going to sell me the kits for $45...

Also have dropped the distributer off at an auto-electrician to get it rebuilt.

So now i have compression, i will have fuel, and i will have spark. And if i still have an engine that runs on 3 cylinders next week i will kill something.

cheers,

chris.

Guest iceickle

I didnt soak them, just spraying & wiping. And damn there was some stubborn crap in there- looked like they hadnt been cleaned for years. That was 6 months ago when i did that anyway. Now all the rubber parts will be replaced :)

I realise this forum is dedicated to modifying the Z, but the way i see it, i have to get it working at a stock level before i go ahead and do modifications... like i read somewhere, the more you modify something, the more problems you will have! :)