HybridZ

gear drive help

Guest 350man

Guest 350man

i'm installing a new cam and a gear drive. got te gear drive off a friend but no instructions. he kinda told me what to do but he couldn't remember. its a pete jackson noisy gear dive. does i need to know if #1 tdc and how to know if the cam is in the right position? i'm still a little new at rebuilding motors

i'm installing a new cam and a gear drive. got te gear drive off a friend but no instructions. he kinda told me what to do but he couldn't remember. its a pete jackson noisy gear dive. does i need to know if #1 tdc and how to know if the cam is in the right position? i'm still a little new at rebuilding motors

The gear drive is the same ans most timing chains. Has a dot on the cam gear and one on the drive gear. There should be a copper spacer to go underneath the cam gear inbetween the block. If you want it to last get a big block cam oil galley pipe plug, they have a small oil hole in it that will spray oil on the back of the cam gear and keep it all well lubed. Put it in the center (main/rod/cam) oil galley.

The two dots have to line up with the cam at the 6 o'clock position and the crank at the 12 o'clock position, then the idler gears go in and you check cam timing.

Degreeing is handled by offset bushings on the cam, hopefully you got those and the lock plate that goes underneath the bolts, holds the bushings in and also if your using a roller cam you'll want to use a thrust button or bearing there. There are several types of those, roller bearing, aluminum and plastic. Stay away from the plastic, they don't live very long.

When you get it degreed, put the lock plate under the bolts, torque (25 ft-lb i think) and then bend the lock tabs over the sides and top of the bolt. If the lock plate is used, you might want to get a new one at autozone or something, they sell them, otherwise the tabs may break off.

The idler gears have a pointed end on the shafts, that goes towards the block. Sometime the block casting numbers have to be ground off in the area that it rests so that it goes in all the way, depends on brand though. If your block has been line honed or bored you may find that a gear drive wont' work, they make one for that application, at least I think pete jackson, moroso and cloyes do.

Doc' date=' you forgot to mention the middle gears and how they go in: one is slightly bigger than the other! The larger of the middle gears goes on the...right or left?

Davy[/quote']

Doesn't matter, as long as the pointed end of the shafts goes towards the block.

I bought a Dynadrive (dog bone style like Pete Jackson's) gear drive, and it came with a cam button and a lock plate as well as the brass cam to block thrust washer dr_hunt mentioned. The instructions state that the dog bone must be positioned with the larger idler gear on the left (viewed facing the engine, so this would be on the passenger side of the car). They call that the 'power idler', and the little one is called the 'reverse idler'... it only comes into play under deceleration; it keeps the engine from spitting out the power transferring idler.

"Reverse idler (small gear) should have free vertical movement of .005" to .075" when drive idler gear is in solid mesh with cam and crank gears".

"Put idler gears about half way in, then install cover (with gasket) and push into place. Remove cover and that is where the idler assembly will run. The chamfered end of the power idler must not touch block. Grind off if necessary for at least .005" end clearance."

Their illustration shows a range of .005 to .075" and notes the clearance may be checked with putty. It would be good to always use the same thickness cover gasket & be sure that compressing it still leaves the minimum .005". "DO NOT TRAP AXLES between the block and front cover."

There are two different length Chevy torrington bearing cam buttons on the market that I know of. I think the longer one fits the timing chain covers with a raised circle in the center with 3 spokes off it, and the other fits... the other style Chev timing cover.:mrgreen:

My instructions suggest .005 to .010 end thrust on the camshaft, grind the face end of the cam button to get it. I bought an aluminum Edelbrock water pump that has incorporated an adjustable thrust stop into the design. Busy finishing off a house, so I can't say how well it works, but seems like a good idea.

If you want to install your cam with some additional advance, the thicker part of the chosen offset bushing goes to the left; to retard a cam, turn bushing 180 degrees... face the thick part to the right.

I know that flat tappet cams have a taper that is supposed to keep the cam from walking, but I plan to run a button, and have drilled a valley plug for oiling. I'm not running a computer (gear noise has been known to screw up knock sensors) and like the longevity of gears.

Good luck, hope you like your drive.

Doesn't matter, as long as the pointed end of the shafts goes towards the block.

Hmm, I just read somewhere in CarCraft of Hot Rod, one of the magazines out there, that it does make a difference. I was hoping you had read the same thing and would tell me too since my gear drive didn't come with any instructions either! :mrgreen: LOL

Well, maybe there is no difference...

Davy

Davy, here's a kit (from Jegs site) that might be useful if you picked up a used 'Pete Jackson'...

Chevy Installation Kit

782-327-21 Gear Drive Installation Kit

# IncludesThrust Button Assembly

# Offset Bushings(set of 5)

# Lock Plate

# 3 Bolts & Washers

$31.99

I think I have a .pdf file of the instructions for a Jegs dogbone style drive somewhere if you'd like a copy... (most everything should be in my post above, but one never knows).

Davy' date=' here's a kit (from Jegs site) that might be useful if you picked up a used 'Pete Jackson'...

Chevy Installation Kit

782-327-21 Gear Drive Installation Kit

# IncludesThrust Button Assembly

# Offset Bushings(set of 5)

# Lock Plate

# 3 Bolts & Washers

$31.99

I think I have a .pdf file of the instructions for a Jegs dogbone style drive somewhere if you'd like a copy... (most everything should be in my post above, but one never knows).

.[/quote']

Thanks A.G.! Yeah, I'll take install instructions if you have them--just email or PM me---many thanks! I'll end up having to buy that install kit for certain from Jegs. Thanks for the link.

Davy

Thanks A.G.! Yeah' date=' I'll take install instructions if you have them--just email or PM me---many thanks! I'll end up having to buy that install kit for certain from Jegs. Thanks for the link.

Davy[/quote']

Davy, I think I have what you need NIB. Let me check, if I have it I can mail it to you today.

Doc

Depends on the gear drive, on mine, all 3, the pointed end is on one shaft only, anyway if you put it in wrong on mine anyway you can't get the timing cover to fit flush, which puts the big gear on the left side as your facing the block. That's the way mine are anyway.

I have a tope gear, idler gears, thrust washer, roller cam thrust button, cam lock plate NIB if you need it. It came without the crank gear and they just sent me a new one.

Thanks A.G.! Yeah, I'll take install instructions if you have them--just email or PM me

Davy: I logged on and tried to email you through your screen name, but the board says I don't have permission. I then tried a PM, but don't see a way to attach a file. Damned computers:icon45:.

Davy: I logged on and tried to email you through your screen name, but the board says I don't have permission. I then tried a PM, but don't see a way to attach a file. Damned computers:icon45:. .

Just send it via davyZ@hybridz.org which should work. Thanks!

Also, Dr Hunt, thanks for the parts!!! This weekend is fine by me--I'm in no hurry right now.

Good to have friends on the board :D

Davy