HybridZ

Big Changes...

Wagz

Big changes for me… I’ve been keeping an interested eye on the “relocation†thread that was getting a lot of attention a while back. My wife and I have been getting a bit restless in the Portland, OR area and have spent the last year and a half looking at other places in the country as possible targets for relocation.

I really, really like the Portland area. We are an hour from the beach to the west, to good skiing (Mt. Hood) to the east and great water sports (Hood River – Columbia Gorge). The city is nice with lots to do. But, after 12 years here, it’s just gotten too crowded and the long winter months of rain, rain, rain have taken their toll. My work commutes have gotten progressively worse each year. I get home in the evening ready to kill any thing that gets in front of my bumper.

So, we are making the big move. Surprisingly, it’s right back to where my wife and I were born and raised in SE Washington State. We’re going to the Tri-Cities, to be more specific. I really had no great desire to go back, but the advantages were to compelling:

• MUCH nicer weather
  • Real Estate is much more affordable
  • The Tri-Cities is not that large, but not too small, population-wise. We can still get to Portland or Seattle for a dose of civilization within a reasonable drive.
  • My wife and I are really into wine and the region is a premier wine producing region for the state.
  • Lot’s of water sports on the Columbia River and I can afford to have a big boat and keep it in permanent moorage
  • Both families are centered in the area (can be a negative to :rolleyesg )
  • There’s a roundy-round race track (my father was responsible for developing and managing the track in the late ‘60s), an off-road RV park and a good go-kart track for my son.

The major potential down-side was in finding jobs for my wife and I. We’re both in high-tech related careers. We put feelers out with friends and immediately found a great job for my wife who is a Sr. Unix Administrator. Our house goes on the market this Friday and the journey begins.

We’ve already made trips to find property. We’re looking at 1-2 acre lots so my wife can have a pool and I can have a shop. We’re planning on having a home built while we rent for the first year. We get to be like those Californians who’ve been moving to Oregon. With all the equity we’ve built into our house in Oregon, we’ll be able to buy a good piece of property, build a house, shop, pool and buy a decent (24-28ft) boat that we could never afford in the Portland area.

My little consulting company is willing to keep me going while I develop new business in eastern Washington. We’ll see how that works out. I may have to go back to working for someone else managing software development.

I’m a little apprehensive, but we’re committed now. My wife moved-in with her folks this weekend and started her new job there today. I have to sell the house and follow later in the summer with my son. So, not much will get done on either of my cars until I get moved into my new shop.

I know there are a few HybridZ’ers in the Tri-Cities (Wheelman, Peternell, jwt, and maybe a few others). We’ll have to get a small local chapter going so we can get together for a few cold ones, swap lies, and bench race.

The adventure begins…

Wagz,

Your first two reasons for moving are nearly compelling enough, let alone with all the other ones. You could make out really well when you sell--you'll be able to afford a bigger better house OR have a similar house and some $$$$$ left over--either way it is not a bad deal. You should look into making your own 1/8 or 1/4 track near the roundy round, although I'm not sure what the State would say. Still, it could be worth the shot. Anyway, good luck with your move and getting the right job!!!

Davy

Hey, yea I'd have to agree with you about the Portland traffic - did you have to drive through downtown to get out to the westside? 26 is usually a parking lot, even though they widened out the stretch from 405 to 217. I used to have to drive from Tigard to Vancouver every day, and it took me over an hour. It was 20 miles. And that was commuting with my wife in the commuter lane (all 5 miles of it!). That must have knocked off 30 minutes. I love the Portland area too, but the traffic was just plain STUPID! I personally would rather commute in the Bay Area.

Tri-cities is a nice area, and yea the houses are still affordable out there. PDX isn't bad yet, nowhere near down here in the Bay Area where it costs literally 3x as much for the same house. Glad I'm not staying down here! Can't wait to go home to Vancouver!

Good luck with the relocation, I've done it twice now, and it's scary but can be really worth it!! :2thumbs:

Thanks for the well wishes, guys. I know its going to be a good move over-all. We'll certainly be able to live a little better than we could if we stay in Portland. It'll be good from a family stand-point. My son will get to spend more quality time with grandparents and he's pretty stoked about that. One of the major reasons for deciding to go back there is my mother's health. She has Alzheimer's and is starting to deteriorate pretty quickly. She still has some good days left and I want my son to know her better before she fades completely.

On the home hunting front, my wife called tonight after looking at several existing homes. She found one that sounds great: 4000+ sq. feet, unobstructed river view, nice pool, professional land-scaping... but my wife says "there's not enough room for you to build a shop so, I told the realator to keep looking." ...I love my wife! We're still leaning toward buying land and building, but she needs someting to do until I get there. :rolleyesg

Al: yeah, I used to commute on 26 all the time. I hate it, even with the expanded number of lanes. My office is in Vancouver these days so I take a route that takes me through Forest Park on Germantown Rd and into St. John's. I get onto I-5 at Delta Park and up to SR-500. It's not too bad, relatively speaking. Oh, and speaking of family, how is your little guy doing these days? I seem to remember him having some health issues a while back. Hope all is well.

Yea, my son's fine now and turning 18 in 3 months :eek2: (could I actaully BE that old???). They cleared up his cancer in only a few months, and he is well and a normal teenager again! We had to pay a few bucks to get there, but it was all worth it.

Germantown? I used to take that home every day from work when I worked out in Forest Grove. The onramp to I-5 there sometimes backed-up all the way past the Comvention Center and the light! Half my commute would be right there waiting in libe for the freeway. Still less time than 26 to 405 to 5. About an hour vs. 2 a few times when they had the St. John's bridge closed.

Enjoy the new area, thankfully when I get back up to PDX I won't be commuting anymore into Portland. Can't wait.

... (could I actaully BE that old???)...

:mrgreen: Yeah, that two-by-four hit me between the eyes when my 18 yr. old graduated HS last month. She's headed for OSU this fall. Now I have to figure out how to pay for college AND finish my Velo Rossa... I'll be too old to keep it between the lines or take it past 15 mph by the time I actually complete it.:rolleyesg

You guys are making me feel bad by discussing your age vs your kids' ages. My kids are younger than your oldest and I believe I'm a bit older than both of you. Pluuuus, you are farther along in your swap than me! *Ugh* Maybe I should stop complaining and start wrenching.

BTW, Al it's good to hear about your son's recovery.

Davy