HybridZ

240 procharged z "crabs" down the road.

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

OK; heres a weird one. When I accelerate the car squats and the rear end seems to move to the left. When I let off the gas it seems to move to the right. What the? I am thinking motor or transmission mount. Have any of you ever experienced this? I dont even have a clue. This did happen very suddenly. And there are no weird vibrations. Thanks,

Peter

When you say the rear end moves to the left on accel & then moves to the right on decel; do you mean the rear axle as in differential or do you mean the rear end as in the rear of the car?

If you feel it is the rear end as in differential; can you see it shifting in your side mirrors...how do you know it is shifting? Can you actually see it shifting or is it more of just a sensation of shifting? If your car is hooking up well it will squat & get sideways on you till you let up!

A little futher explanation should help in defining your problem.

Kevin,

Odd, I had a post here..no that was in the drivetrain forum, ahhhh I thought I was going nuts. I've had a previous vehicle do just what you're describing. No it won't be evident in the mirror as only a couple of degrees play will make it pull. Same deal accel it pulled one way, let off, the other. I found a mount was loose on one side. Check everything back there for play, it doesn't take much.

JS

[This message has been edited by John Scott (edited February 27, 2001).]

Guest Anonymous

Had the same thing happen on a 280-Z. It was the rear control arm bushings. Not the inboard ones but the out board ones, the ones you have to remove the dreaded spindle to change. Good luck, Mark

Guest Anonymous

I agree, it would probably have to do with the rear suspension 'steering' the car by torque and something being worn.

Lone

[This message has been edited by lonehdrider (edited February 27, 2001).]

Yeah, I vote bushings! I had this EXACT same thing happen in a Vega. That was a live rear (9inch) and the control arms had come loose just a bit. When I stepped on the gas the arm would move a little bit and I'd need a quarter turn of the steering wheel to keep it straight! Very little movement can make a BIG difference up front for the driver.

I'm betting you've got bushings hammered since with an independant rear the whole thing shouldn't be moving. Are you using DelAlum bushings, stock rubber, urethane, or what? If this happened suddenly one of them probably crushed or squirted out smile.gif

Guest Anonymous

Found it!!! Crawled under the car and poked around. All of you were right. Found out the left inner (closer to the center of the car) forward control arm had completely backed out and was missing. I took one look at that and thought to myself "wow. I am one lucky @#$%" I had just done a blast up to 110. That eerie feeling of being very mortal came to mind. That one bolt could have cost me my life. All of you do yourself a favor and please check ALL of your suspension bolts. Thanks for all your help.

Peter