HybridZ

Apexi Turbo Timer install problems

ok I just installed a Apexi Turbo timer into my 76 280Z with an 82 turbo engine. I had to hard wire it because I have a kill switch for the my ignition so I have it wired up a certain way.

There are 3 wires on a connectors Red, Blue, and Green

The red is connected to 12V constant under the dash

The Blue is connected to the kill switch

The red wire on the turbo timer and kill switch are both connected to the same 12V constant just I can trick the blue wire into turning off when I flip the switch.

The Green wire is connected to the ignition and fuel injection relay.

Then theres a black wire that goes to ground and a white wire that goes to the O2 sensor. There's also a grey wire but its not hooked up its the parking brake wire instructions say you don't need to hook it up.

Anyway here's what happens when I flip the switch. The turbo timer turns on but the ignition and fuel injection relay don't turn on. So that means the Green wire isn't energizing when the turbo timer is on. But here's the catch... I turn the switch off cutting power from the blue wire and it counts down like it should but the ignition relay and fuel injection relay turn on but it still counts down and turns off after its done countinig.

So for some reason its no turning the green wire on until I turn the blue wire off again. I tried wiring it different ways and it doesn't work, I think I may have a defective turbo timer what do you think? I know its not one of those fake ones also.

Well I figured out the problem. I always figured that the turbo timer worked kind of like a timed relay. Apparently it turns the TT unit on when it senses power when you switch it on IGN1 and when it senses that you've cut the power it keeps providing power to that one wire until the timer is done counting and kills the power going to IGN1.

I just tapped the ignitor/FI wires to the wire going from the switch to the IGN1 wire and it worked.

Man I don't like the way they had this turbo timer function. The IGN2 wire is apprently there because some cars want two wires powered up for the car to stay on, but I guess since I have the ingnitor trigger and fuel injection relay on one wire I only need one wire to connect it to. I was hoping it functioned like a relay its more like a power intervention timer box.

It does work but when I switch the kill switch off it loses power for a second and kills the ignition for like a second and then the turbo timer gives power to the wire until the timer is done counting.

Anyway it worx I included a diagram to show what I'm talking about.

Z%20apexi%20tt%20diagram.jpg