HybridZ

Inflated radiator hose

Inflated radiator hose

I have a 1973 240Z with a 1982 208zxt motor in it with mega squirt and spark. I have just started to drive the car and found out that after I drive for like 10 mins and the temps get 190 Deg+ the upper radiator hose inflates. I am using the radiator that came in the 280zx but I do not think that should cause this. Also I just put a new radiator cap so that’s not the problem.

What do you guys thing it maybe.

Air in the system, blown head gasket, bad hose?

Any help would be appreciated.

And finally, WoW does 12 PSi feel good.

It sounds like the fluid level is low on your radiator. You did not play with taking apart the water pump did you because reverse mounting the pump impeller can have some interesting results (saw this on a different car not a Z motor before). Also if you are running boost and having a serious head gasket leak near number 6 which is closest to the water jacket you could end up presurizing the coolant area. The water pump could be bad but usually it pomps its seal plug and pours water out of the bottom of the pump. You could also have a stuck thermostat that just does not open at all and keeps building presure. In any case once you fix it you will need to replace the hose since it will most likely go out sooner than expected. Just throughing out some things out to check. Good luck

Inflated radiator hose

I have a 1973 240Z with a 1982 208zxt motor in it with mega squirt and spark. I have just started to drive the car and found out that after I drive for like 10 mins and the temps get 190 Deg+ the upper radiator hose inflates. I am using the radiator that came in the 280zx but I do not think that should cause this. Also I just put a new radiator cap so that’s not the problem.

Could you please define what you mean by "inflates"?

Does it just get really hard, or does it blow up like a balloon? If it blows up like a balloon, then the hose is bad. If it just gets really firm, that's probably normal - the cap is supposed to regulate the pressure to ~14psi. If the pressure is going much higher than that, then there is a problem with the cap, regardless of whether it is new or not.

It would take a LOT of pressure to make a known good hose blow up like a balloon, BTW - I would think you would see lots of other things failing if this were the case.

thanks guys

I took the old hose off, and i think it was from 1973 LOL.

I also put more water in and made sure i topped it off.

and finally i did a test and took the car up to 210 deg and no probs.

thanks you very much

By the way, where is the hottest part of the block, right now i am getting my reading from the back of the block where one of the heater hose things were.

is the front of the block hotter or the back of the block?

The thermostat housing is where the temperature is usually read from. This should be the point where the water is the hottest, since it's been through the entire engine at this point. Also, this point will give you apples to apples comparisons to others' engines.