HybridZ

L24 Connecting Rods ???

thor280

I'm wondering if the L24 ( 2.4 liter engine ) connecting rods may have any part #'s or markings . I purchased a set of rods through E-bay that were

supposedly L24 rods for a stroker build up . Just wondering if I may have just purchased a set of 280 rods ????:-(

measuring the center to center length should tell you what kind of rod you bought. A L24 rod should be 133mm center to center while a L28 rod will be 130.2

In order to measure center to center, measure from the very bottom of the small end bore to the very top of the big end bore and add 37. The 37 is the sum of the radii of the bores.

I have a bunch of rods, I bought a few sets of "240Z" rods on eBay and they all turned out to be 260Z or 280Z rods. The only true 240Z rods are the first set I bought. I needed more rods because one of the rods from the first set is flawed.

here's the markings on mine(X = any number) :

L24 rods : 51-0 (logo)JAPAN.NO142.X

L26 rods : XX-X (logo)JAPAN.A8742-X

L28 rods : 4-1(logo)A87-2

L28et rods : XX-X(logo)A87-2

Only L24 rods have "NO142", the others all have "A87" in the marks.

The other way to tell one from the other is from the form of oil squirt hole. L24 rods have "outtie", all others have "innie". The L24 "outtie" is a oil hole on top of a protruding lump of metal. Non-L24 rod's "innie" is a hole inside a egg shaped depression. Use this to identify the rods when you don't have any measureing tools with you.