HybridZ

Apexi Turbo Timer Wiring (w/diagram) 76' 280Z /w 82' L28ET

I figured I should make another thread saying how this stuff works just in case someone with a similar setup runs into a situation like I did.

Basically the the Apexi Turbo Timer works as a Power intervention timer box. It senses when power is given or taken from a certain wire and it intervenes the loss of power to that one wire which is where the ignition and fuel triggers are in my case. The Apexi turbo timer also comes with a O2 Sensor reading function that will calculate your AF ratio and display O2 Sensor voltage. It also has a parking brake safety function where if you forget to engage your parking brake (or someone tries to drive off in your car while its timing) it will imediately kill the engine.

Now some info on my setup. I have a 1976 280Z with a 1982 L28ET engine with stock harness and ECU. I'm sure this setup will work with other setups close to what I have just need to get a little creative. The way I have it wired up is I have a hidden kill switch in my car and when I turn it on it gives 12V power to the ignitor trigger wire and fuel injection relay trigger wire. From the FI relay it activates the pump. I use the key to crank the starter.

This is how I got the turbo timer to work. I connected the kill switch and red wire on the turbo timer. Then I connected the the other wire coming out of the kill switch to the green wire on the turbo timer. Then on this wire I tapped in the ignition and FI relay wires. This way the turbo timer gets 12v power when I flip the switch powered the turbo timer and the igntion/FI wire at the same time. Then when I turn the switch off the turbo timer provdes power to the green wire keeping the ignition and FI on until it s done counting down and kills the power going to the green wire which turns the car off :icon46:

To get the O2 and AF ratio functions to work on the turbo timer you have to tap the white wire coming off of turbo timer to a black wire that goes the middle ECU connector on the harness. If you want to use the O2 function according to the manual you need to use an ECU ground also, I guess it wants you to use a ground as close as possible to the O2 sensor wiring on the ECU as possible. If not you just ground it to the chassis.

Also the grey wire goes to your parking brake switch. I didn't utitilize it so i don't know if it works with the Z. The way it works is if 12V power is applied to it during the countdown sequence it will imediately turn the turbo timer off.

The setup works but when you turn the kill switch off the ingition and Fuel injection loses power for a second but not enough to kill the car.

Here's a diagram I drew up with photoshop to illustrate the installation. Hopefully someone finds this useful. :icon46:

Z%20apexi%20tt%20diagram.jpg