HybridZ

Rear Caliper Idea

I recall seeing photos of an early Z with vented front rotors. The builder used the original Sumitomo front calipers and widened them with a machined spacer inserted between the 2 halves.

I realize that 240SX and 300ZX stock rear calipers are single cylinders and sliding brackets for solid rotors, but..... could the same idea apply to somehow "widen" an inexpensive stock part (with a parking brake) to fit 0.875" to 1.0" wide vented rotors?

For the rotors, I am thinking about FWD Maxima 10.5" dia. rotors (front on the back), per Terry's Race car.

Thinking aloud,

Mark

my guess would be to say 'not likely'. The reason is that the amount and shape of the material for the "hook" that passes over the rotor is insufficient to make it rigid with sandwiched material screwed together. I would more likely carefully weld a section of necessary width in there before using fasteners. This section of the caliper is prone to a great deal of tensile and shear loadings, and rigidity is of the utmost importance.

Terry

maxima rotors are the same OD as a 84 300zx, and in this aspect why widen a stock Z caliper when a 4runner is 4 pistons??

for the rear there are other cars that use a vented rear rotor with integral ebrake,

87-300zx is one. using the park cables is a PITA though.

even new mustang is a solid rear rotor i believe,.so ifyou want a vented rear caliper with ebrake i think your back to the separate ebrake or use the 87-88 300 ones?

------------------

Mike

mike@fonebooth.com

http://www.fonebooth.com/brakes.html

raceparts and brake upgrades.

Seems to me there's not really much of a need for a vented rear rotor - it's not going to get nearly the abuse that the fronts do.

It does occur to me though - since we're looking at trick custom rear brackets anyway, is it worth maybe looking at something like the Mustang to see if their caliper could be adapted? It's got the type of E-brake hookup that we'd want in that it's not some sort of silly drum brake in the hub. Just can't recall how many pistons and what material it's made of offhand...

Thanks for the ideas!

Once Terry wrote "hook" I had a better image of what is happening. The caliper body is really a fixed mass (volume?) of cast Iron and you can't expand it. Maybe I can machine the "slot" wider..... without weakening the part.

I was brainstorming around the Maxima / 240SX part because they are $5.95 each at the self service yards hmmmm...at least 20X more frequently than '88 300ZX or '94+ Mustangs. Even RX-7s are available 5X more often. hmmmmm....

>> BLKMGK posted February 25, 2001

>> Seems to me there's not really much of a

>> need for a vented rear rotor - it's not >> going to get nearly the abuse that the

>> fronts do.

But it is the visual sex appeal, like NACA ducts and whale tail spoilers and exhaust tips the size of a Maxwell House can.

LOL! In my case I'm going with the OutLaw stuff in th eback - partyl for that very reason. The 240SX stuff is iron and pretty ugly not to mention heavy. However I'll still use a solid rotor - no one will know if it's vented or not and if I had a real drive to make it look sexy I could always use a slotted rotor (shrug)

BTW - I actually WANT a Maxwell house muffler - a pair - on my Z when I'm done. If I could find one that muffled halfway decent that didn't cost a zillion bucks I'd do it too. This owuld be to suck in all the import haters and Honda punks of course smile.gif

Heh, who sees the edge of the REAR rotor? smile.gif BTW - I was educated today on the difference between the GT and Cobra rear brakes - the Cobra has vented rotors all the way around. We noticed this on a "Jack Roush" Mustang in the shop. This car had his name plastered on it - count 'em - 19 times! With Cobra fronts and GT rear brakes. Both sets of rotors were crossdrilled AND slotted - overkill?! Looked at the rear caliper - gold iridite steel I think, ick.