HybridZ

Alternate to vb921?

Mack

I went junkyarding the other day and came across some transistors used to fire the coils on 1989 to 1994 maximas with the vg30e engine. I think they should work in much the same way that a vb921 works, correct/

anyway, they are on the wiring diagram in this page, just to the left of the middle on the bottom of the page. http://aarc.epnet.com/application/8961/chiltonimages/8961/89616e01.pdf

im sure mtcookson should be able to tell me what i need to know...... I yanked 3 of them and i also got a gm 3.8L coil pack.... and a few vg30E chopper disks. gonna make my own 72-2 wheel (36-1 x 2 running at camshaft speed) and just use the wheel decoder and go wasted spark.

transistor_thumb.jpg

Just for now, until I get my wasted spark, I could use this little transistor to fire the coil directly from my board, much in the same way the VB921 works, right? or, coudl I fire it through the fidle and enable dwell control? just looking at some options until I get my wheels built....

oh yeah, I found a discription of the nissan power transistor, if this helps......

the ignition signal from the ecu is amplified by the power transistor, which turns the ignition coil primary circuit on and off, inducing the necessary high voltage in the secondary circuit to fire the spark plugs. Ignition timing is controlled according to engine operating conditions, with the optimum timing advance for each driving condition preprogrammed into the ecu memory.

so, this bsically operates JUST like a VB921, correct? yeah, I know, vb921s are only $5.50, but time is a factor and shipping time over the 4th weekend will suck.

Without putting an oscilloscope on the signal that drives the transistor on a running engine, you won't know for sure. I'm fairly sure that the VB921 takes a 5V logic level input. So the VB921 will not actually drive the coil until the logic threshold is crossed (maybe 2V). IF the Nissan unit is just a transisor, it will not behave this way. The VB921 is more than just a transistor. It has a comparitor cicuit, pre-driver, and driver transistors. It also has overload protection.

Why not just use a VB921?