HybridZ

No tachometer signal with a weird problem?

Just got my new project up and running; with details and pics soon to be posted. It is a 280zx n/a non-digital dash running megasquirt and msd 6al. Everything is working to plan except I have no tachometer. I have hooked both the tach output on the msd and 4 other wires coming out of the stock wiring loom to every possible combination with the same wires wire with some sweet sparks to boot. I have hooked up the black/white wire to the - and + terminal on coil, the blue wire, white wire, etc...

I think what I'll end up doing is running the tach output wire on the msd to the correct wire right behind instrument cluster. I have never had much luck with wiring diagrams so does anybody know what color and where I can find this wire or did I not try something earlier that should make it work? Also I have heard I might need a tach adapter but I was under the impression that you only need a tach adapter if your tach works but doesn't read correctly, but with mine it doesn't read at all. Thanks

Guest 280ZForce

I had my MSD tach sender go out a few weeks ago right when I got strapped down on the dyno and MS wouldn't read the tach signal and the car wouldnt start w/out it.

Blah! That sucked cuz I didn't get to dyno tune the car cuz we couldn't figure it out that day. The next day they removed the MSD tach sender and viola, all fixed and fired right up.

So, either you wired the MSD tach signal wrong (guessing you didn't) or your MSD tach sender went out like mine did I'm assuming.

But I'd try taking the MSD tach sender outta the picture and see if that helps.

Good luck.

For my N/A 280zx, the tach received its signal from the Neg side of the coil (blue wire) through a resistor and to the tach. The tach receives its power from the ignition circuit. This is on a 1980 280zx. I think you may need the MSD tach adapter as the signal output from the MSD box could be different.

Hope that helps

Aaron