HybridZ

how bad is the rust on this Z?

Guest GLOCK23

Guest GLOCK23

Well here are the pics of the '75 280Z that will be mine soon (free). How bad is the rust on the body? Any tips or advice on dealing with the rust?

img00783wt.jpg

img00798xz.jpg

img00809hk.jpg

img00852le.jpg

img00865sd.jpg

img00871to.jpg

img00887th.jpg

img00897sg.jpg

img00905mh.jpg

img00911sf.jpg

img00928vy.jpg

img00934yq.jpg

img00949ma.jpg

img00957vi1.jpg

img00967fg.jpg

engine bay shots:

img00813jj.jpg

img00824ij.jpg

img00834mu.jpg

img00840qk.jpg

Guest GLOCK23

the car hasn't been used for a long time. THe last time they started the motor was on February of 06 and it started up fine. Since then the car has just been sitting there.

Superficially, I'd say it's not too bad, but until you look at the floorpans and frame rails, it's hard to tell. Does it come with the headlight covers, or are those long gone? I see it has the mounting tabs for them still. Looks like a lot of the rubber under the hood is fresh too, so that's good. Head's painted, but not the same color as the block, so it's most probably been off for something before. I saw you catching some flack for that airdam on another thread, but I think it's kind of cool.

Whats the 3rd pic of? Looking at the crack, it might be hiding some bondo work. Not a real biggy and makes things easy, just couple of taps from a screw drive and it will come right off. Another area to look is the trunck lid deck. Even though superficial, the replace piece cost some overpirced amount.

Tap around the floor boards with a screw driver from the bottom, rust might be hidden under some undercoating.

olderthanme Every time I look at your sig it makes me want to try to replicate it ( I did say try, and don't thing I would get very far) :mrgreen:

And also check the driver and passenger lower window seals, If they have worn out expect to have some rust on the inside of the doors.

sandflea_thumb.gif

This is the sand flea. It is a shortened vw bug in California. It is a 1600cc flat four that is stock. it can still pull wheelies. it was recently in a mud drag and it had whitewall tires. I'll try to find a bigger picture.

for a z you could not shorten it more than the length of the driveshaft. you could use a short nose R200 and maybe a four cylinder motor and it would be really short.