HybridZ

Ignition Problem

Guest Abkshelby79280ZX

Guest Abkshelby79280ZX

I just got a '79 280ZX from my uncle Saturday and I seem to have a problem. The entire ignition system will not power up. I have checked all the fuses and fusible links. It's like the ignition switch isn't turning anything on. Headlights work as well as the dash lights. Key in ignition chime works but that's it. No accessories will power up with the key on. Any help would be appreciated.

could be that the battery connections just need to be cleaned. Usually it lets enough power through to let the accessories work, but when cranking the amperage demands are too great and just won't crank over.

Oh forgot to ask, does it crank over? Well this is what would be the first thing to do anyways. Disconnect the battery. Remove it (just for safety reasons). the wires that go from the battery terminal to the starter, clean them. Disconnect those wires from the starter and clean them. then put everything the way its was and see if it starts up.

Guest Abkshelby79280ZX

The Ignition switch itself seems to be fine. At least ohm wise. But when I cut the key on just the fuel pump runs. No dash lights cut on nor when you try to start the car will it do anything but click the accessory relay under the dash. I seem to think a fusible link issue is going on past the links so far. Not really sure on this one. Battery and cables are fine. Maybe I can make more progress tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestions so far guys.

Guest Abkshelby79280ZX

Found out what the problem was. The ignition accessory relay had gotten water in in and was corroded causing nothing to work. I took the relay apart and cleaned it for now until I can hopefully find a new one. Everything powered up and the motor eventually started and ran although a little rough because of the varnished injectors. I had no idea one relay could control so much of the ignition system but it does. Thanks for your help guys. I'll be back with more probs and updates.