HybridZ

C5 front Chassis swap???

With all my reading that the front suspension of the S30 could use some work I've been thinking that a C5 corvette front suspension would be a slick swap when going to the LS1 engine. I've been seeing corvette chassis on ebay quiet a bit and that has given me the crazy idea. The track width of the C6 is 62.1".

http://www.chevrolet.com/corvette/specifications/

I read in this thread that the S30 chassis factory track width is 53.5" So you would end up gaining 8.6" of width in the track. So thats 4.3" per side of track gain. I figure that would fit under some YZ fender flares or maybe something custom.

Just thinking of ways to adapter a very modern front suspension to the Z. I would add a full cage to the car and tube the front end. The tubed front end would be welded straight up to the corvette chassis. With a little thought I think its a very doable swap. The biggest issue would be getting everything to line up properly.

Getting the proper fenders to cover the tires. I would do YZ rear quater panels to make the front and rear track widths similar. I wouldn't attempt to retain the rear mounted transmission of the C5. I would just bolt up a standard T56.

What do you all think? Am I crazy?

00_3.JPG

You get:

Wider front track

Very Modern front suspension

Power steering rack

big brakes

The WOW factor :)

Heres an example of rolling chassis that are on ebay all the time:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Corvette-Rolling-Chassis-w-LS1-Engine-Factory-Five-AT_W0QQitemZ190003847228QQihZ009QQcategoryZ33615QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Justin

I have been seeing the same thing, but since you would be getting the whole rolling chassis wouldn't it be just as easy to just use the entire thing and placing the Z body on it. from what I have been seeing this would seem like a very good swap and eliminate some of the current weak spots on our Z's (frame rails, unibody consturction). I checked into some of it and it seems that if you use the transaxel you could make it fit with minor adjustments to the gas tank in the Z (just a quick measurement was used).

I do think you are on the right path with the YZ flares and you do gain a better steering system for those wider tires. I say go for it and if it works for you I am sure others will follow quickly. The abs part will be interesting I am sure on the Z.

Justin, what you're talking about is certainly doable but it will involve a lot of work. I'm going to be using C5 front suspension pieces on my 240-Z, but I am also making a custom spaceframe for the entire car to accomodate the suspension.

Olie05 is right, you can't just drop the Z body onto the C5 running gear. The wheelbase is too long. You'll need to separate the front and rear suspensions and mount each separately. I'd suggest ditching the C5 engine/suspension cradles and simply use the rest of the suspension pieces and make custom mounts on your Z body. You'll have to put in a bit of extra bracing for the upper control arms, but it can work.

Read up and do a lot of planning before you start cutting and welding. Go in with a plan.

I really have no intentions of trying to drop the S30 chassis on top of a complete C5 chassis. I was just thinking of using the front portion of the chassis from the rear of the engine to the steering rack.

Boodlefoof, have you started building the custom spaceframe to utilize the C5 suspension?

Regards,

Justin

Yup, I've got a thread a few down from this one (or it is at the time of typing this). This is a full frame that will replace (and therefore require cutting out) the entire floor and inner body support structure though. You could mount the C5 front suspension with a less involved frame.