HybridZ

driver door

Guest 280ss1976

Guest 280ss1976

i put new hinges on my driver dor and have adjusted to my hearts delight but i am having troubled opening the door u got to jerk up on it to open it but the ones i put on the passenger door work perfect what can i do to fix this also the handle feels like u pull it all the way up but not releasing but on the inside handle works great

What I did, was take apart the door (without removing the glass which can be a huge pain) and I adjusted everything myself. I had a problem with my drivers side door too, and it turns out the handle was broken, where the hinge was to push down a rod to open the door. Just take it apart and see how you can fix it.

OK, the first thing you need to do is remove the striker. That's the thing in the door jam the latch catches on. Adjust the door without the latch. Once the door fits the hole well then replace the striker and work on getting it to latch correctly. Hanging doors is no easy choir. As you adjust, bear in mind the door will sag a little, so bolt it up a little high. The bolts holding the hinges to the door are used to fit the door in and out at the top and bottom, the bolts holding the hinges to the door pillar are for adjusting the door in the hole up and down, front to back. Make the door fit the quarter panel and roof first. You may have to readjust your fender to match the door after you're done getting it to fit the quarter and roof. If you loosen the fender at the rear it will allow easier access to the bolts. Once the door closes PERFECTLY then reinstall the striker loosely, close the door almost completly, peer thru the crack and see that the stricker is level with the latch, then tighten it. Also, when you are working on the hinges, crank them completly tight on each try, don't try to leave them a little loose as tightening them changes how the door hangs.

Good luck and if you think this is hard, imagine trying to do it when the cars has been mutilated in an accident.