HybridZ

LT-1 Fuel Pump Options?

Hey, all, complete Newbie here. Engine is a '95 Caprice LT-1. It's going in a '48 Chevy, but please ignore that for now. Trying to suss out the fuel system. Contemplating a late model GM tank that'll fit and accept an OEM fuel pump/sender/return/etc module. Have a chance to get a '99 Camaro LS-1 module for $100. Any advice about what GM fuel pumps are up to the task? Where to look for specifications/part numbers, etc? How much pressure/lph (gph?) do I need, and is that all I have to worry about? Is there such a thing as too much? Any help greatly appreciated. There are some genuine geniuses/artists/craftspersons here and I am in awe of what you've done.

Best, Gary

If you are using an LS1 intank module the pump that comes with it will be sufficient for an LT1 up to about 400HP.

The Caprice LT1 has a fuel pressure regulator mounted to the driver's side fuel rail so you'll need to disable the one built into the LS1 intank module.

The LT1 wants about 43 psi, the fuel pressure regulator maintains this using a vacuum signal from the intake manifold. I'm using a Walbro 255 LPH inline pump in the 240 with a Caprice LT1 and have had no problems keeping the correct psi.

You might consider using the entire tank from an LS1 Camaro. They are fairly easy to come by, relatively cheap and should come with the intank module you want to use anyway.

If you do some searching on this site for LS1 tank swaps you'll find information on how to gut the pressure regulator in the LS1 module and some pictures of mounting brackets several guys on here have fabbed up.

Not sure if you've thought about the size of fuel line you're going to run but try and stay with a minimum of 3/8" feed and 5/16" return. I used 3/8" for both just so I didn't have to buy 2 sizes. It's a combination of 3/8" stainless brake line I got from Schucks and high pressure line from a local hydraulic tubing supplier. It's a bit overkill but I don't want problems later.

Good luck with your build and drop by to keep us updated.

Wheelman

Many thanks, wheelman. Turns out a guy's parting out a '99 Camaro SS as we speak and I'm on my way to check out his fuel tank in about :15 (he agreed to sell me the tank and pump module for the $100 he quoted me for just the pump module). I found the thread you spoke of and it looks like the LS-1 tank is going to work out a treat (may have to raise my trunk floor a couple inches but that doesn't bother me for all the other benefits of this deal.) I intend to use Caprice fuel lines as they've got the right push-on connectors at both ends and I think it'll be a fairly painless install (some $80 from the local Chevy dealer for both feed and return, but it appears I need another kit to do the fuel pump-to-filter piece).

I appreciate the good will despite not having a Datsun/Nissan Z car. I chose the "Z48" moniker because my first hot car was a '69 Camaro Z28 and I hope to make the '48 Aerosedan into a decent replacement. The other LT-1 forums I found weren't into adaptation like HybridZ is and I think it's way cool this wealth of knowledge and experience is so readily accessible.

FWIW I'm using the Patriot 8019 block hugger headers which interfere with the knock sensors so I'm using the Telorvik knock sensor brackets to relocate them. Gonna delete EGR, AIR, canister purge, and most of the "info" sensors from the stock harness. I will be needing one of the ECM connectors (blue one, iirc) as it came damaged, and if anyone knows where these can be sourced I'd appreciate some info. I lucked out because the original front accessory drive looks like it's gonna clear after I hammerize the spring mount tower on the passenger side Mustang II front suspension setup to get a/c compressor breathing room (I did have to get tubular upper a-arms...).

Anyway, thanks again. -- Gary