HybridZ

timing chain when replacing head gasket

Guest gikoro23

Guest gikoro23

i blew the head gasket on my l24 and replaced it after getting all the machineing work done. now my problem is getting the timing chain on the cam sprocket, but my car moved backward while in gear therefore making the crank move and not the cam. now the hole thing is off timing. would i have to diss assemble the front cover and move the timing chain tenssioner and reset all the sprockets or is there a way i could keep the front on and get the timing right and just put the cam sprocket on?

so you're saying you put a wedge between the chain to keep it from dropping, but your upper sprocket is now off?

If that is the case, no just make sure the front two cam lobes are pointed in upward positions ( / ) so both valves are closed. Move the sprocket so #1 is on the bright link. You'll be fine.

If you did not block the chain and it dropped down then you were screwed to begin with. You will have to remove the front cover and get that tensioner reset properly and the lower bright link put on the (DOT) on the lower sprocket.

sounds like this might be the case. Make sure the front piston is all the way up. (TDC)

Is there a full procedure on timing chain replacement on this site? You should probably look over it. Or get a haynes manual off eBay ($5)