HybridZ

Gas Mileage

lithium4750

well I have heard of 30mpg in a very mild 2.4 with a very mild cam, MSA 6-1 header, and early SUs. The owner was an older gentleman that obviously knows hot to tune his car.

don't know what ou mean confident. If your drivetrain is solid then it should be fine to drive that far. If your 260 is like mine no. I have no insulation , header-2.5 exhaust, turbo muffler at the back. After 20 minutes of driving constantly at 3500rpms you can't really hear.

I'll say I have owned 14 of these early Z's and have never gotten any better than mid 20's on the highway and higher teens in the city. Automatics tend to get worse, but all this mileage is subject to driving style and I do have a heavy foot. Our current Z has an automatic and it gets about 14 city and 17 highway, but this will change this year.

About diring it that far, well my wife and I drove our 78 automatic car from LA to the Grande Canyon and down to Houston. It made it fine but the ride is not comfortable at all in those stock Z's and not because of my height (6'8") and her height is 5'2" maybe 3" and it was equally uncomfortable. So the cars can handle it if you drive it regular already with regular repairs, but you might not be able to handle it.

Guest 73TPIZ

I bought my '73 when my company had me in Boulder CO for 5 months back in '01. I drove it home to SC that Christmas (about 1800 miles). I drove straight through (~26.5hrs) just stopping for gas, food, and relief. The car had sat for years before i bought it but ran well. I checked the fuel lines, changed fuel filter, oil, etc before leaving. Didn't have AAA so I shoulda been more nervous but ran 70-80 with not even a hiccup. If you drive it regularly around home without any recurring gremlins, I say do some preventative maintenance, carry some basic tools, some spare parts (fuel hose/filter, rad hoses, belts, etc) and go for it.

Speaking of AAA, you should look into the AAA Plus. They'll tow ~100mi for free as well as bring gas, etc. But get it early, they have a grace period before the coverage kicks in.

By the way, I don't know if you're going I20/I95 for your trip to MA, but if you encounter any problems w/in 100+ mi of Florence, SC (29501) feel free to call me @ 843-687-7323. I have an 18ft dovetail if you're automatic and a tow dolly if you're a straight drive. Can't take you to MA, but I could tow you to someone close for repair or bring some parts and we'll rebuild it beside the road. I have a rough early 260Z parts car. Motor and tranny of unknown condition are still in the car.

Good luck and take care,

Thanks Guys, I'll have to talk to some more people and my mechanic about the gas mileage, but I would be perfectly satisfied with mid twenties on the highway. But about the rough ride and loudness, I just have a bigger 280 block with stock 260 head and cam. I'm about to get the MSA twice pipes exhaust put on so it shouldn't be that loud. Plus a pretty good stereo to drown it out. The 5 spd should help a little with the mpg too.

Haha, I will be sure to call you if I have any problems, I might just call you to stop by and check out the parts car. I need a few little things.

Thanks guys.

I once got 25 or so in my '78, I haven't checked lately but I've gone to work and back in it for a week and a half now, it's 17mi. one way, plus some short hops, and it still has over 1/4 tank. I also had duty on Sunday so I drove to work 6 days last week. So..guestimating that I'll make about another 50 or so miles before fill up...17x18=304+50=354mi, will take on anywhere from 13 to 16 gallons meaning this tank will yield me anywhere from 22-27mpg.

I have 4.11 gears, a header, 3" exhaust, drive 80-90mph consistently and have a 5-speed with a .745:1 overdrive.

I've also gotten tuning that flapper AFM down to a science, on highway cruise at light throttle she goes so lean that I had to turn off the lean warning indicator on my (narrow-band) air-fuel gauge, it pegs the needle (yes a needle, speedhut sells A/F gauges with NEEDLES, cool,huh) on "lean"..but as soon as I get load she richens right up.

WOn't have to worry about it for long though, going MSII and turbo!

I'll be happy to sell the '79 tweaked AFM for cheap though once I get the turbo swap done.