HybridZ

q45 diff /autometer speedo

Lunar240z

i posted this over on freshalloy, in the q45 section, but when i saw what the other threads were [installing 22" wheels etc...] i figured i'd have a better chance of it getting answered over here on hybridZ

i'm putting a 1991 q45 limited slip differential in my 240z, the tranny i'm using [s15 silvia 6 speed] doesn't have a speedo sensor, and i was told the q45 diff has the speedo sensor. i asked an autometer tech what i could do to use an autometer gauge with the type of sensor [VR sensor] thats in the q45 differential.

this is his response to me

"What type of signal does your sender produce? How many wires are on

your sender? Let me know and I may be able to help further.

Thank you.

Cory

Tech/Service"

i neglected to pull the speedo wire off the Q when i got the diff at the picknpull , so if anyone can help out that would be great

thanks

this is what he wrote back just incase anyone was interested...

I have not experimented with any ABS sensors, however if it is a 2 wire sensor, you may try to tap onto the high side signal wire and run your new wire (from the high side signal of the sensor) to the SIG terminal of the speedometer. Follow the calibration procedure and see if the speedometer functions. Also check to make sure that this has not affected your ABS system as well for your safety. If it does not function or if it causes a problem, then you may contact Speedometer Service at 414-463-6660 and see if they have a universal speed sensor that may operate on your vehicle.

Thank you.

Cory

Tech/Service

so when i get this thing running i'll see if it works or not...

• 5 months later...

i was thinking about this again, and i'm probably going to make the bracket soon so i made up a drawing of what my sensor would probably end up looking like,

any thoughts or suggestions?

i also talked to a autometer tech at a hotrod show and he said that the VSS needs multiple signals per revolution, i forget how many now that it's been so long, so i'll have to find out again.

q45vssdiagram.jpg

[cherry brand hall sensors, ive been told have a threaded body.]

another option would be to try to use the stock VR sensor with the toothed wheel thats in there. but my car is nowhere close to running so this is pretty much all speculation at this point.