HybridZ

New Project eventually, Opinions.

alsil

I have had fumes issues for years as well, and have done everything listed on this site and others, and just couldn't get rid of them. The strange thing was that some days it was great, and other days it was horrible. It finally dawned on me that perhaps it was due to the hatch frame flexing on the hatch seal. After a lot of trial and error, I finally landed up adjusting both the latch and striker so that it now closes without needing to be slammed and also without being loose when I try wiggling it. The result is that the fumes are gone almost always now.

So the lesson learned is that the hatch seal is sensitive to how much pressure is placed on it by the hatch frame, and the alignment/adjustment of the latch/striker is far more critical than I expected.

In any event, that's what finally solved it for me.

Wow, I had no idea so many people liked early Celicas! I've always liked them, but you mostly see them stock around here. I wouldn't really redo the whole thing, but I would do a swap (3RZ + 5 speed maybe) and some suspension and brakes, wheels, and a decent exhaust. I'd probably keep the 3RZ stock since it's a 2.7 and already puts out around 160hp stock, just maybe an air filter added. They make Tacomas get up and go pretty well, so with a 1000lbs lighter it should get me close to 14's, or in the 14's. That's fast enough for me. Plus it should get pretty good gas mileage, like 25-30, since the Tacomas get close to that.

Well, that's what i'd do to a Celica....of course that's nothing compared to what I'd do to a Falcon, Mustang, or a Z :mrgreen: , as my website will make blatantly obvious!