HybridZ

Need T56 help

I have been searching the archives and am only getting more confused. I think I want to replace my t5 with a t56 but have some questions.

Will a t56 that was behind an LT1 bolt directly to my mid 70's 350?

If so, what years did chevrolet use the T56 behind the Lt1 to help in my used tranny search?

I have read about adapter plates needed to bolt to older blocks, what's that all about, I thought all SBC 350's had the same bellhousing mounts (not LS1 of course)

Will my Flywheel and clutch/pressure plate from the t5 setup work on a t56 that is setup for an Lt1?

Thanks for any input, I have been struggling over this tranny decision for soo long it driving me crazy!

Jeff

I have been searching the archives and am only getting more confused. I think I want to replace my t5 with a t56 but have some questions.

Will a t56 that was behind an LT1 bolt directly to my mid 70's 350?

If so' date=' what years did chevrolet use the T56 behind the Lt1 to help in my used tranny search?

I have read about adapter plates needed to bolt to older blocks, what's that all about, I thought all SBC 350's had the same bellhousing mounts (not LS1 of course)

Will my Flywheel and clutch/pressure plate from the t5 setup work on a t56 that is setup for an Lt1?

Thanks for any input, I have been struggling over this tranny decision for soo long it driving me crazy!

Jeff[/quote']

1. yes

2. '93 - '97

3. They are the same for an LT1 T56

4. no, unless you use an aftermarket bellhousing

Cool, thanks. To expand on the 4th question. So to use the LT1 bell housing, I need a flywheel, clutch and pressure plate? I think I've read that my t5 slave will work, is that true?

I want to do this right, is this the better way to go or is the afermarket bell a cleaner install. If so, who sells it?

thanks again

Jeff