HybridZ

Mega squirt on Ford 351

Charles Patterson

I have a carburated truck right now among my z's ( its my work truck). I was wondering if I could run Megasquirt to get better performance and fuel mileage (currently 9mpg) I did not know where the injectors would be mounted. Would I use something off a new vehicle or modify an intake for port injection. Would I just run fuel or fuel & spark? What else would I need to do other than fuel pump?

Thanks Charles

• Administrators

Charles,

The sky is the limit. IT depends on how much research, fabrication, etc you want to put into this project. In short, evaluate how much that truck means to you, and then decide how much effort and money you are willing to invest.

Without knowing how attached you are to that truck, (that would dictate just how far you are willing to go to squirt the truck), a Throttle body FI set up running Mega Squirt controlling both fuel and spark utilizing a dizzy would be a nice compromise in complexity, mileage, performance, and overall time invested in the conversion. You should at least gain mileage and drivability, and maybe some performance. If you could round up a multi port intake and injectors at a reasonable price, that would be even better. Even with the stock cam, I’m sure power would at least slightly increase as well as a nice bump in mileage and drivability once you get it dialed in dead nuts. Of course a nice torque cam would help power quite a bit and could even help improve mileage as the domestic OE V-8 cams are known for being WAY friggin anemic… Oh, and because you would be running a programmable EFI, even the emissions should improve, even with a nice EPA approved Torque cam.

That’s my $.02.

Good luck and keep us posted if you do pursue the Mega squirt avenue on your truck. There is a wealth of helpful info here and on the MS-EFI forum as well.

The truck is my work truck and has all my tools in it ( I am a builder). The truck is an 1983 1 ton F-350 so emissions is a non issue and to replace the truck is fairly expensive. I would rather invest in my Z cars versus a new truck. There are a few things I would like the truck to have AC, Pwindows, better clutch and fuel injection. The truck has a motor I built in it already: .030 over, cam, headers, Edelbrock intake, Holley carb, dual flowmasters and makes good power. It is geared very low but for a 7000# truck it moves pretty good. I figure the injection would make cold staring better, idle better especially if I add AC and couldn't hurt my mileage either. It really couldn't gow down much:) . I just wasn't sure how to go about it. If I did the swap it would have to be quick. I can not afford for my truck to be broken down for weeks. What vehicles would be candidates for the intake pieces (newer FI trucks?)

Thanks, Charles

Guest alex86a2t

You have a Ford V8. I bet someone like Edelbrock makes a manifold for both port injection and TBI, I would bet that there are so many out there you could get it super cheap.