HybridZ

single turboed 383

i know some of you like turbo meister have done twin turbo v8s, but i have been thinking of doing a single monster turbo on my v8 z but cant find any pics or info. i love watching some of those outlaw mustangs with the single huge turbos, and want to try with my 240. im a chevy guy , but i really respect the power they are making. im mostly concerned about routing the exhaust to the turbo. i want to mount the turbo on the drivers side infront of the radiator and send the charge directly into a intercooler then , ( this might be overkill ) into a water to air intercooler inside the passenger side of the car then back into the engine bay. ANY THOUGHTS??????

You want to fit a large frame (Im assuming) turbo, air to air ic AND a water to air ic along with all supporting hardware like wastegates, BOV's and all that in a Z? Well my opinion is that you wont need both IC's, choose one or the other and go from there. Another potential problem is the radiator if you are going to mount your turbo in the nose. Most drag cars with that setup run a small radiatior angled but there is no room in a Z to do this with running a small radiator and having a overheating problem. I would (and will be) running a large frame turbo but between my motor and radiator so I can still run a full size radiator. The IC is still in debate. I want a very streetable car but I want a w2a IC because of the room I have under the hood and the fact that I can get the air charge at or below ambient temp.

Anyway just some thoughts I have.

You definitely don't need A2A and A2W. I'm going to be running a single A2A one and the guys at ForcedInductions.com tell me it'll be fine.

Mounting the turbo isn't going to be an easy task. We'll have a solution worked out in a couple months, but cutting/moving things around may be involved. :)

Lason' date=' Not enough action over on DFWSS? If these Boys only knew, too bad WhiteBoy doesn't post over here much.

Zfan/Mike[/quote']

Yeah Im bored today, hence why Im surfing this place. DFWSS is just too slow during the day!

Sorry, back to the point. Run a single with one IC and your in like sin!

thanks for your thoughts guys, im going to use some sort of custom smaller radiator which should keep engine temps low enough sense it is just going to be used for drag only, also its going to be alcohol injected so it will be running cooler anyway. i know that two intercoolers is alittle overkill, i just figured that if the turbo was mounted upfront the intake charge is going to be routed infront of the radiator anyway. Lason, how do you plan on mounting the turbo in front of the motor??? even if you use a smaller or electric water pump and a electric fan i dont see it fitting. it would be ideal for routing the exhaust though.

I havent gotten to that point yet but with my LS1 mounted in there I have plenty of room between the core support and front of the motor with the belt driven water pump for one. Now I dont have a radiator mounted yet so I may be way off with my measurements but if needed I can figure out a way to mount the radiator on the front side of the core support to give me the needed room. I have the whole back end cut out of my Z right now doing a back half so Im not afraid to cut on this thing if I have to :wink:

Are you talking about me 280Z28? If I do mine like I want Ill have my a2w IC mounted in the back next to my water tank and pump. Ill just run the 4" or whatever size inlet and outpiping along the pass side floor board. I could even mount the IC where the A/C box is on the pass side firewall on the inside and run my water hose from the resivoir to the IC along the floor. Either way it SHOULD work.

Ill be N/A for a while though. So Ill have time to think about it. In the mean time Im taking all of it into consideration as Im moving the floors around and rear frames and all that.

Having routed turbo plumbing in every which way in the Z engine bay many times over to get the best configuration, I would go with a large single turbo if I had done it all over again. With my twins, they produce boost so smoothly that I don't necessarily get that kick in the butt feeling--I'm not complaining though. As far as mounting the turbo so far forward, you will lose some thermal efficiency, so you might consider mounting it closer to the source of the exhaust. I would hate to lose that perfect spot for a huge intercooler right in front of the radiator. My question is, why the air to water? If it's a drag car, I guess you might benefit from cooler charge, but you could also do the same with spraying water/alcohol, or better yet, N2O on the air to air intercooler. Sounds like an interesting project. I love V8 turbos.

After seeing silicone boy's TT last weekend, I have a new appreciation for the effort and planning that goes into a project of this magnitude. Dropping the V8 in a Z is pretty straight forward, yet no walk in the park. To then add twin intercooled turbos??? Having it dialed in and running is yet another huge accomplishment. As I said in another post, I'm still in awe! Really nice silicone boy! I could see where a single would be the ticket, and really hope someone pulls it off, but the visual symmetry of the TT is sweet!

You know, I read something not to long ago of some people doing a test of spraying N2O onto a A2A IC and there was no change in air temp, and if there was a change it was extremely minimal. I would think that NOS and all the other companies that make the IC chillers would research that kind of stuff before marketing their products but I was a lil disappointed after reading what I did.

Another reason Im personally looking into W2A IC is because I can mount one tranny cooler up front in the traditional spot in front of the radiator and then mount a second one in my ice/water resivour and really help keep my tranny temps down while im on the tranny brake.

You know' date=' I read something not to long ago of some people doing a test of spraying N2O onto a A2A IC and there was no change in air temp, and if there was a change it was extremely minimal. I would think that NOS and all the other companies that make the IC chillers would research that kind of stuff before marketing their products but I was a lil disappointed after reading what I did.

[/quote']

That's good to know, because I was always suspicious of how well that concept actually worked.

BTW John, thanks for the comments. You are right about the amount of effort that went into figuring out the turbo plumbing. It tooks several months of working at night fabricating and trying out different configurations. Then it occupied my sleeping hours imagining what could be done. Heck, I looked at it last night thinking about how the plumbing could be made better.

Guest dirtyt

spraying the a2a with nos works great. i just helped hook a set up like that up into a 300z tt dropped 4 tenths off and got into the 12's with stock turbos. i thought about a single set up on my lt1 but the exhuast routing and trying to keep the temps up in the xhuast was just a pain. so im going with twins and it will be way cleaner and smoother for daily driverness.

spraying the a2a with nos works great. i just helped hook a set up like that up into a 300z tt dropped 4 tenths off and got into the 12's with stock turbos. i thought about a single set up on my lt1 but the exhuast routing and trying to keep the temps up in the xhuast was just a pain. so im going with twins and it will be way cleaner and smoother for daily driverness.

Well now there is another conflicting story, Im still up in the air on these things. Another thing I wonder about this system is exactly how much nitrous you go through on a run. I mean the spray bar is a lot longer than a plate system. At $30 a bottle I dont know exactly how efficient that setup is.

Guest dirtyt

he did about 5 runs and was out. but he works at a speed shop so he gets it cheeper. We made a spray bar out of a 60" peice of 3/16 brake line with aprox 20 very small holes in it. and just made 4 u shaped bends to get it to cover as much of the intercooler as possible.

I have to say, my twins are extremely smooth. In fact, other than the fact that the car goes like a bat out of hell, it's sometimes hard to know they are there. There is not turbo kick, just a lot of brutal, seemingly endless power throughout the power band.