HybridZ

280ZX rear disks to 280Z

Guest Anonymous

email Mike (mike@ksplastic.com) about the caliper brackets. it uses the 280zx calipers, the bracket he makes, and a brembro rotor. That will change your rear hubs to 5-lug, also. See: http://zcar.netdojo.com/5lug.htm for that conversion. If you want to keep it 4, just use the Maxima caliper bracket (tough to find, although Mike can also make that), the stock 280zx rotor and caliper. make sure to use 1980-1983 toyota 4x4 rear brake hoses for the swap, since the calipers don't have the flared fittings already on them. You need 2 of the hoese. They are a bit long but you can wrap them around the e-brake bracket. As far as the ebrake, take everything off your ebrake cable except the clevis, slide the cable part through the u- shaped retaining bracket (end of the caliper) and put the clevis over one end of the claw. push your pin through and put in the cotter pin, take the stock "U" shim that holds the cable on the stock bracket, and tap it over the cable at the side closest to the rotor. That's the easiest way to hook up the e-brake cables. You also have to wrap the cable UNDER the half shaft, not over like stock, or it will rub, plus it's a straighter shot at the bracket. Look at this pic: http://zcar.netdojo.com/upload/mvc-354s.jpg

on the bottom right you can see the u-shaped retaining bracket and claw. also, on the left, you can see the end of the cable. you have to remove the stock retaining bracket (the L-shaped bracket that bolts to the top of the hub) and remove it from the cable, but hold onto the retaining clip, so you can use it on the caliper. I will have pics of the finished setup soon. Didn't have the camera around when I got it together, and I wanted to drive my car!!!

AL

------------------

http://zcar.netdojo.com

My Upcoming Solo Album Site

Guest Anonymous

I have read pages of information on this subject but I have yet to find a bracket that does not need modification. Is there a caliper bracket on any year Maxima or other car that allows the 280ZX rear disks and calipers to be used without modification of the bracket?

• 4 years later...

Greg,

If you want, you can check out my Z, I'm in Brookfield. I have the 280ZX rear disc brake setup installed. You just use the calipers and rotors off your donor car and some brackets that I think you can get from Modern Motorsports or you can try to find the Maxima bracket. I was fortunate enough to be able to order the Maxima brackets from the Nissan dealership, but this was years ago. I think there is a couple pictures of the rear brake setup in my Yahoo album, just click the link in my signature.

!M!

• 2 months later...

Hey Matt,

Yeah, I'd like to check that out. I can source the maxima rear caliper brackets from Courtesy Nissan for $79 each. Paul gave me some ss brake lines, and I have a ZXT brake booster to install. I would like to do the rear disc conversion at the same time. Call me up 262 818 0747.

BTW: the link to your pictures isn't working. I'd like to see the progress.

Greg