HybridZ

So where are performance cars headed?

Guest l28et

Well, we truly live in the golden age of performance cars. I mean, Honda Accords with 0-60 times in the 6 second range? Family sedans with 300+ NET horsepower? That's awesome. On the other hand, they are also getting a lot heavier as we add more accessories like GPS, climate control, audio/visual systems, etc. I agree that some of this weight is for safety/structural improvements, but the new Mustang and Camaro weigh close to two tons! That's a heavy weight.

If current trends continue, cars will have 1000 HP ethanol burning engines and weigh about as much as an M1 tank, yet manage to get 50 mpg. Luckily, it'll only cost you 500 grand.

I just picked up the new "Racecar Engineering" magazine at my local Border's bookstore. There was an awesome article written by a FIA technical consultant. Basically talked about where F1 and other series are heading. We should see hybrid technologies making there way into F1 in 2010 by way of regenerative braking used for passing power.

There is also soon to be an explosion in alternative fuels at Le Mans. With Audi winning, we will see Peugot next year with their V12 diesel, and many others like

Toyota and Honda follow with hybrid and hydrogen powered vehicles.

Basically, what's learned on raceday will dictate where performance cars are going to be headed.