HybridZ

oil pump shaft sleeve??

I just noticed today that the piece of paper with my summit oil pump for the big block says it requires a steel pinned sleeve for the oil pump drive shaft or it voids the warranty. What is the story with that, is it really required? I can't use my stock oil shaft with the nylon sleeve? Looks like it only around $10 to get a shaft with a pinned sleeve, but I have to wait on another part to get shipped in.

it will (work) with the correct length drive shaft even if the nylon collar is used but Ill point out that nylon sleeve can and do occasionaly break and fall off.

if that happends the shaft can slide back and forth (side to side) and put higher loads on the pump, this also tends to screw op the timing consistancy

make sure the oil pump drive shaft has some vertical clearance (.040-.060 is about correct)when the distributor is fully seated

prefered

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=MEL%2DIS%2D55E&N=700+115&autoview=sku

mel-is-55e_w.jpg

notice the STEPPED DIA. thats to prevent the middle of the shaft rubbing on the block near the crank bearing area,non stepped dia shafts DO tend to rub ESPECIALLY on the 400 blocks