HybridZ

Datsun 2000 with SBC help!!!!!

Guest anarchy99

you dont appear to have a shortage of money and/or mechanical/fabrication skills. go for it. dont listen to nay sayers. im sure there were pleanty of nay sayers when people talked about putting SBCs, LS1s, Ford 5.0s and BBCs into the Z cars.

Guest anarchy99

Theres always a shortage of money until I hit the lottery... The place where the datsun is sitting just went out of business and the datsun is just sitting there. I'm positive I can get it from the guy for not much. If I get a chance I'll post up some pics and see what you guys think.

Guest anarchy99

here is some of the conversation I had with the guy about his dads car. What do inner fender well headers look like? is that Like the Shelby cobra type setup?

Well, I asked him about the setup and he said you can do it one of three ways:

1. Leave the stock firewall and steering and all linkages as is and just transplant the SBC into the car care of some custom motor mounts and custom inner-fenderwell headers. This was actually how he had it at first for many years with a 305 and an auto going to the stock rearend with small tires on it.

2. Move the firewall and engine back and use the stock front suspension with an updated steering mechanizm (ie rack and pinion with custom steering shaft). This also requires custom motor mounts and headers, but possibly not inner-fender headers. (This is current setup as seen in the photos.)

3. Cut off the entire front frame section and custom make a set of new parallel frame rails from basically the firewall forward and use a independent front suspension like a Heidt or mustang II or fiero. This would allow you to make the frame rails pretty wide to ease the installation.

The transmission is an muncie 4-speed and the rear end is a GM 12-bolt I believe.

The ford engine may be narrower, but with the fuel injection setup, say from a 5.0, won't clear the stock hood. He had a hard time getting the chevy to clear with a low-rise intake and short air cleaner.

Guest anarchy99

True story:

I was going to pay the guy for the Datsun 2000 and met up with him where the car was parked. He was eating and I didn't want to bother him while he was eating so I went outside with a rather large screw driver and started tapping on the floor boards, which pretty much fell out with each tap they were so rotted. He finished eating and asked me if I had a second and I said sure. We walked through a large farm field and there sitting under a garage cover was a immaculate, all original 1962 austin healey sprite. It was gorgeous. No rust, near perfect original paint, tires still had air and the chrome had no blimishes. even cranked when he parked it there a number of years ago. He has grown old and can't do anything with the car anymore, and asked me if I wanted it for a great deal. I said hell yes and I won't say what the deal was, but you would rip out your check book also, trust me. so I went to get the datsun and ended up with a perfect Austin healey instead... sorry guys.

so I went to get the datsun and ended up with a perfect Austin healey instead... sorry guys.

You did what we would have done, so no worries. The Healeys make good swap candidates too :)

Here are the pictures I promised. Sorry about the time lag. Apologies to the bandwidth impared.

pic15.jpg

pic14.jpg

pic13.jpg

pic12.jpg

pic111.jpg

pic10.jpg

pic9.jpg

pic5.jpg

pic3.jpg

pic2.jpg

pic11.jpg

Davy

Guest anarchy99

Thanks jbk240z. I'm in contact with the guy that runs the britishv8 sight. The one healey on there with a corvette engine and running gear. The only problem is it's in a big healey and mines a sprite and it's narrower. On the Mazda rotary part, already got the V-8 and running gear. Plus, no offense and I'm sure they are fast, but rotarys just aren't my thing.