HybridZ

Datsun 2000 with SBC help!!!!!

Guest anarchy99

Guest anarchy99

This is my first post on these boards, but I've looked everywhere for information on converting a datsun 2000 to a V-8 car. I've got all the running gear from my old 79 corvette and there is an old Datsun 2000 roadster right down from my work that is dying to get that engine. I've searched high and low looking for pictures or anything regarding putting a SBC into a Datsun 2000. If anyone can point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it. I just finished one car project and I'm starting to get the shakes because I don't have anything to take apart!!!!!!

Welcome to the board...

Your hybridization gene is fully active, however, there may be a problem with your proposed engine transplant.

My wife's 1600 has a narrow engine compartment due the footwells; the 2000 will likely be the same, so a tape measure reconnaissance seems appropriate. Major surgery may be required.:icon50:

If you just gotta have that 2000, perhaps the guys in the 'other engines' forum can suggest a modern high output 4.

<>

I have seen photos on ebay in the past of a 302 Ford in the engine bay of the Roadster. It fits (barely) because it is narrower than the SBC. As A.G. just mentioned, it will require some surgery to get the Chevy to fit. Personally, I would go with the Ford for this particular swap, if you want a V8 in the Roadster. Otherwise, you'll end up making a custom frame for the car and perhaps a custom front suspension. The Roadster was never meant to have anything other than a 4 banger under the hood, unlike the Z car. Even the 510 has room for a V6 or the L6 under the hood (barely).

I'm not trying to discourage you, just sharing what I know about them. We had two Roadsters in the family years ago. I'll try to find a pic...

56_3.jpg

d4_3.jpg

Look how tight the Ford is in there. Imagine the Chevy...Oh, BTW, this is NOT a pic of my brother's Roadster. I do not own this car.

Davy

http://mildevco.net/chevypowereddatsuns/

good read through on rebuilding/upgrading a roadster.

I have a 69' 1600 roadster all original. currently I have the cylinder head in

a shop hoping they can weld a water jacket hole.

If not I will consider replacing the stock motor with a more modern

nissan ka24 or SR20 from a 240sx.

My intent is to have a small fun fuel efficent car, not something with silly

amounts of power.(have other vehicles for that)

If you have a hodrod shop nearbye and they have one of those foam test

blocks, that might be your best but for fitting.

Guest anarchy99

The reason why I wanted to use the SBC was because I already have one sitting around ready to go. I might be able to trade it for a 5.0 ford but it wouldn't have the same cool factor to it. I wanted to put a 144 weiand blower on top of the SBC just for the cool factor of having a reliable daily driver that still got decent gas mileage but had a blower sticking out of the tiny engine bay. I'm all about chopping cutting and rebuilding, as you guys can see from my other project car. Thanks for the help and keep them coming, also thanks for the pictures guys, that helps out immensly with the whole, it may be possible part. Maybe I'll have to go ahead and pick the car up and go from there.

• 1 month later...

Nice car!! Can we see some bigger pics?!

last ones for now... This project might be a go for me, but I want to put a polished 144 blower ontop of mine!!!!

Guest anarchy99

I don't think this new project will cost nearly as much as my car now. I've already got all the running gear from my old 79 corvette, and changing to some lighter bigger chambered aluminum heads would lower my compression enough to play around with the blower. Plus I can get the datsun for 600 dollars and yeah it needs alot of work, but it's just a fun little project. on the bigger picture thing, it wouldn't let me post big ones.

Anarchy99,

What site or page did you pull the Chevy pics from? I'm wondering since they come across as being very small (to us), not full size. I want to get bigger pics, so could you provide a link by chance? Thanks.

Davy

Guest anarchy99

I was asking around on LS1tech.com and a guy sent them to me. His dad did the car and I talked to him at length about what it takes to do it. If you want, I can email you the pics, at there full size, just PM me your email address and I'll shoot them to you. Again, sorry for them being so small, it just wouldn't let me post them at the full size for some reason.