HybridZ

Ferrea Valves?

JustinOlson

I'm looking at getting a set of Ferrea oversized valves when i build my cylinder head. Here are the units I'm looking at:

http://www.importperformanceparts.net/imports/ferreacompplus-nissan.html

45mm intake valves $21.50/valve

36mm exhaust valves $22.50/valve

Anyone use these? How much combustion chamber work do you need to do to get these to flow nicely?

Regards,

Justin

• Administrators

Justin,

Ferrea valves are a VERY good choice, quality materials, first rate craftsmanship, etc. Finding aftermarket valves for the P-79/P-90 heads isn’t easy, and Ferrea valves are first rate.

Chamber work for the larger valves would be same as with the smaller valves, scribe the fire ring of the head gasket to be used on the deck surface of the head, then unshroud the valves out to that point, (pic below shows the scribe line surrounding the chamber of a P-90 head we are working on currently). What work that needs to be done different when going to larger valves is opening up the throat of the valve seat itself, (i.e. making its ID larger), to take advantage of the ports ability to flow more air from the larger valve head diameter. Even when we retain the OE valves on performance heads, we are able to open up the ID Of the valve seat throat by approx 1mm. A larger valve allows for just that much larger seat throat.

If the block is disassembled, you could even “eye-brow” the block int eh region of the valves out the head gasket fire ring as well, but be sure not to “eye-brow” below where the top piston ring rides…

1Medium.jpg

I second the choice for Ferrea valves...exellent quality. I'm running them in my p90 head on my personal car. Something to think about tho is that these valves are actually pretty heavy. I never weighed one but it was noticeably different than a stocker. So, the quesion is, do you really need oversized valves and what are your plans for the car. Braap has described the requirements for running the valves very well, but I definetly wouldn't do only those items. A full port job to match your car's intended use is highly reccomended to gain the most from the oversized valves. All that said, I was talking to a customer awhile back that was having his head done locally and they were doing some interesting things. To lighten up valve train they'd pressed in new smaller inside diameter guides and gone with chevy valves that could be had with lots of different options from different suppliers (material and design wise), and the smaller stem design lightened the valve itself up considerably. HE also went with titanium retainers if I remember correctly. Anyways, just something to throw around in the back of your head.