HybridZ

Megasquirt Misses when hot

trwebb26

Has anybody ever had problems with megasquirt when it gets hot? My motor runs great when cold, but when it warms up - it starts to miss and eventually dies. I think my next step it to take the megasquirt apart and check for cold solder / bridges, etc. Any other suggestions?

We had an engine with an 8 pin HEI module that did not have heatsink compound on it. It would do exactly what you say, run great for a few minutes, then start to miss, miss more, then die. We suspected the module for quite a while, and then noticed when we removed it that it didn't have the grease to allow it to cool properly.

oh, so you are running v3.0 board. The easiest test is to take off the lid of the megasquirt case so you have access to the coil driver. Fire up and wait for the miss, then spray a little bit of freeze spray on the coil driver to cool it down and see if the miss goes away. That is an easy way to determine if the coil driver is overheating. Let us know what happens and then we can determine a better way to cool the driver.

What coil and dwell settings are you running?

You have to set dwell control. Since you are using the v3 board and coil driver, it will not control dwell for you. The only time you can use a fixed setting like 50% or 75% is if you are driving an ignition module or box that will control dwell(like 4 pin HEI module or MSD box). Let us know if that helps.

Try the settings I used on the TPI V8, it had a blaster coil.

Go to the "spark" tab and the go to "dwell settings"

select dwell control

cranking dwell = 6

running dwell = 2.5

minimum discharge =1.5

Holy crap do I think I've got it figured out... I had the board apart inspecting it for cold joints - and I thought I'd just check to make sure some of the components were in the right spot. Well... My board is wired like this:

v3one-coil.gif

But I'm running an MSD - so I think it should be wired like this:

v3msdbox.gif

So I guess my board is wired all screwed up (I ordered it pre-made from rs-autosport). To fix it - I guess I should:

- Remove Q16.

- Remove the jumper from IGBTOUT to IGN

- Remove the 330 ohm resistor from R26 to (-)D14/wire lead & Remove the lead from (-)D14 to IGBTIN

- Add a lead from (-)D14 to IGN.

Does this sound right? What do I do with R43 & R57?

Does this sound right? What do I do with R43 & R57?

Sounds correct. From looking at your diagrams I wouldn't do anything with R43 and R57 because they are in a part of the circuit that is no longer connected or used, so if they are in right now or out right now, just stay that way. Once you remove R26 and Q16 they no longer matter one way or the other.

Guest 1seymour

make sure dwell and invert output setting is right for your setup in megatune. i think i saw someone posted that having the invert setting wrong made their timing off by 20 degrees. also, what's your trigger angle set to?