HybridZ

Moving the Engine back 3.5"

JustinOlson

I was doing some measuring in the engine bay last night and I'm planning on moving the engine back 3.5" On the todolist I have:

Shorten driveshaft

Z32 transmission with mazworx adapter

custom engine mounts

custom transmission mount

longer radiator hoses

new throttle linkage

What else am I missing? My biggest concern is the placement of the shifter so that shifting is comfortable. Who around here as moved the engine back in there car?

Regards,

Justin

This engine is back 4" and down 2". You'll have:

1. Exhaust header clearance issues with the driver's side footwell.

2. Oil pump/steering rack clearance issues.

3. Balancer/anti-roll abr clearance issues.

engine.jpg

EDIT: I had the oil pump and balancer clearance issues reversed. Fixed.

Yeah, I've decided that the L28 is going to stay for a while in my car. I need to learn how to drive and spend more of my money on the suspension and brakes of my car before I even think of more power. I'm just trying to make the most of what I have. I think I'll work on following Johns example.

Regards,

Justin

don't forget that the z32 tranny swap puts the shifter further back than the stock location, so if your going to move the engine/ tranny back even more, your shifter will be WAY far back.

If you look at the stock 5 speed, the shifter has a curve in it to bring it back towards the driver. If you stuck with that transmission, you could use a straight shifter and still be comfortable shifting.

just something to add to your list of complications :)

JohnC,

I am interested in how you resolved the oil pump/ARB interference problem. I am also interested in doing this to my race car, and will most likely look at leaning the engine over to achieve a lower CoG at the same time, any ideas on this or is it more application specific?

Dave

Actually, its an oil pump/steering rack interference (I editted my post above). I ddin't really resolve it because I solidly mounted the engine with about 1/2" clearance from the oil pump to the steering rack. I just had to jack up the engine a little bit to get the oil pump off when I broke a distributor shaft.