HybridZ

Requesting Electrical Resource Info

I know quite a few of you guys out there are EE majors or just plain knowledgable in the electronics field. Now.. I'm not an idiot when it comes to electronics, however I am basically self learned. I know the basic forumlas and things of that matter, however I crave knowledge. I built my own MS box for the z and I learned alot about each device and what it does from that, but I want more. I want to be able to build and create things for the Z. Now I'm pretty good with math so that part doesn't scare me, however I need the basic resources to find out what parts do what and how they interact with each other.

Can anybody recomend a couple books? or maybe websites that are useful? I want to clean up the electrical "noise" on my 280 as well as install some home electronics switches into the car. Now i know i can make them work, but i'm gonna have use some resistors or relays to lower the amperage on the switch. That kinda gives you an idea of the kind of knowledge I'm looking for. I'm going to stop by the library today, but i would like to have something more perminent to refer back to.

Thank you in advance.

-Ed

ed,

I don't have a book to recommend but I can tell you this, If you are just going to buy some switch's each switch will tell you its max amp and volt rating.

If you are going to run a lot of power than buy a relay and make sure it too can handle the total amps.

Very simple to install once someone explaines it to you.

yeah that's a no brainer... i got that. I haven't bought switches, I've taken them out of home electronics. They are nice small little switches that can easily be placed in the Z. Problem is home electronics are usually 120v then regulated down, say for example i have a couple TV switches. simple push buttom switches. So basically low amperage high voltage. So you put that in the Z you have high amperage low voltage. Now if you work out a couple forumlas you can find out if it will work or not but i'm sure the higher amperage and spikes in the z would blow these switches. I want to build a circuit board and have these little switches to power big things like... cooling fans, fuel pump, push buttom start, a/c controls, etc. stuff like that.

So i got the output side covered i think... signal wire into a relay so the switch doesn't take the load and that should work, but it's the input side i haven't gotten figured out, or designed I guess. I'm thinking I'm going to have to figure out what kind of resistor to install so that it doesn't blow the switch? does that sound right? Either way i went to the library and picked up a couple electronics books that cover the obvious stuff and the advanced stuff. Figured both would help since i taught myself most of it... I'm sure i missed a few basics along the way.

Still have much to learn. I want to get crazy with custom electronics in the car.

-Ed

I too know nothing about books to recommend, I'm studying Computer Engineering (Comp Sci and EE mix, but with more emphasis on EE).

One thing to note:

Volts * Amps = Watts

For the house switch:

120v * 2 amps (guess) = 240 watts (rating of the switch)

Automotive:

12v * 15 amps (driving lights?) = 180 watts (needed rating for the switch)

I personally don't feel like there would be any problems powering some driving lights with these switches, and if it's a relay, even less, since relays don't take very much power to operate.

Mario

I'm a computer science major myself..

so the TV switches will work based on your math, but lets say i also have switches from a house hold stereo/amplifier or now called a reciever. This is an oldie.. so it's gotta be more tha 9v or 12v figure 24v? i have no idea honestly. and the fuse was a 2.5amp so 60 watts

and well use your example of the driving lights requiring a 180 watt switch. Lets assume i'm using a 40amp relay rated at 14.4v since the load is 3x greater than the switch i have... i think i'm doing this right. So... all the switch has to do is flip the relay but... I'm not really sure what kinda wattage is required to flip the relay.

??..I'm making this harder than it has to be huh?

-Ed

The idea is to power your relay from a battery source fused to the load intended, the power for the switches can be from any source under the dash (assy. terminal of the ign switch) as the switches only pick the relay coils at a small amount of current. I don't understand your thinking on resistors, they are not needed, your over thinking this thing. Automotive switches and electrical parts are designed to work in vibration, heat, damp conditions, etc., home electronics stuff is NOT.

The idea is to power your relay from a battery source fused to the load intended, the power for the switches can be from any source under the dash (assy. terminal of the ign switch) as the switches only pick the relay coils at a small amount of current. I don't understand your thinking on resistors, they are not needed, your over thinking this thing. Automotive switches and electrical parts are designed to work in vibration, heat, damp conditions, etc., home electronics stuff is NOT.

I'm not worried about the heat and moisture conditions. but you do have a point with vibration... maybe if i soft mount the circuit board or soft mount the switches to the circuit board this would help reduce the possibility of failure due to vibration?

Keep all the circuit board componets as tight to the board as you can, less chance to shake loose. After you test your boards and know they work you could glue down some of the larger peices with silicone sealer or clear epoxy, this probably is a little (over kill) but has worked for me in the past.