HybridZ

Filling gaps with weld (strut tube Q)

Pennyman

The threads inside the strut tubes aren't very deep.If you section even "1/4 too short,you're done.Gland nuts maybe make 2 turns in,if your lucky.IMO,one weld(TIG)on a sectioned strut tube is enough.Using a glandnut w/ longer threads,is the only reasonable way to fix the blunder.Were they worth the $200?No freakin' way.Unless you put a monetary value on the piece of mind I'll have that I'll never have to second guess that area if the suspension ever.Call around your local machine shops,or better yet,stop in with a strut,maybe some diagrams or photos,and see what they can do,if you're contemplating that route.Can't hurt to look into it,andchances are you'll find a much better deal than myself.

I cut one of mine two short, I got two turns in on the gland nut. I drove it for a hundred miles it came out.

I ended up cutting my strut housing again below the weld and getting another housing chooping the top off of it longer and using that.

Oh and another thing I used OLD struts to stick inside to keep the wire from protruding inside the tubing.

Oh and antoehr thing lol, make sure they are ABSOLUTLEY straight along with your spring perches, one of mine is a hair off and it is rubbing through the threaded sleeve at the top. Live and learn i guess.

Well, I really don't want the gland nut coming loose. Steve the pipefitter told me to just give him the length measurements of the tubes, and how long I need them to be (measured from the lip at the bottom up to the top of the tube) and he'll get them welded together. He also told me it would have been easier if he had cut them and welded them himself, instead of him trying to fix my job. Live and learn I guess. I'll post the measurements too, once I take them, in case they will help someone else.

He said he'd probably be butt-welding them using a tig welder, but I've got a 1/6" gap on a couple, so hopefully he'll be able to take care of that.