HybridZ

Question about slicks

Guest norm[T12SDSUD]

Guest norm[T12SDSUD]

Hey guys, there is a place near me that retreads slicks with the correct tire compound, but I am wondering if anyone has any experience with this technique and if the car launched just as well with the retread slicks. I can get it done for $90 as opposed to $240 for new slicks so if its effective then its worth it.

Please let me know if you have ever tried this out.

Thanks,norm

------------------

"Ya Gotta Drive IT like ya Hate IT!"

Norm,

not sure about a pure slick, but the Buick turbo boys use a radial recap with great success. It is a fully treaded, soft compound layered over a radial carcass, making for a nice street/race tire. I actually had a pair and used it a couple of times but did not get a chance to see how well they grip because I was having serious spoolup problems at the time.

There are some big HP Buicks using them and like any product, there are mixed reviews, but it is a good price/performer. The only drawback is that they are heavy and sometimes difficult to balance. I would imagine with the slick, the retread will probably also be a little heavier than normal.

------------------

Scottie

71 240GN-Z

Scottie's GNZ

It can be done...used to be quite often.

I had a pair of recaps on a wild vega Wagon (see my website). Scottie is right though, they camn be hard or... impossible to balance.

I have checked out the Buick guys and their radial recaps...I like them! I would like to have some for my Z!

------------------

RickB@DragRacer.com

280V8

http://www.rickb.racemail.com