HybridZ

1976 280z Automatic - What diff?

240zV8

I searched alot to get a clear answer, but kept gettin mixed results. I got a bunch sayin all 280 auto's had 180's, but i got a couple sayin 75-76 280 auto and manual had r200's. I found a good deal on a 76 280 auto and don't want to drive down to find out i gotta spend almost half the car value on a r200, because the cheapest r200 i found so far at the recyclers was $225!! are they kidding? thats steep...but anyway, this is the quote i hope is true...can anyone confirm this?

All right..... I was all wet on my info so here is the correct info..... The 75 and 76 280Z manual and auto trans had a R-200 and the 77 and 78 280Z manual had a R-200 and the auto had a R-180. This is confimed by the Z guru CARL BECK.

LARRY

i guess i'll find out for sure on sunday what diff it has... either way i'm gonna buy it because it's a really solid/straight very minimal rust body, and the engine runs so i can drive it while i repair until i get a nice engine for it..

But i have a question. When there's a 'clunk' in the rear end when u first accelerate or sharp decel, is that internal, or could that be part of the mustache bar/ bushings? Because it's hard to tell when u drive it where exactly the noise if from....But if the diff is bad i'd think it would grind all the way through the rpm range, so a flange or bushing has to be loose that is causing that clunk when u accelerate right?