HybridZ

SDS and stock 82-83ZXT distributor, can it be done?

Guest Andrew240

Guest Andrew240

Is it possible to run with one of the setups from SDS, and retain the stock 82-83 ZXT distributor?

The crank angle sensor is inside of the distributor, and I am wondering if they are able to program the SDS to read the values put out by the stock distributor.

This would be a little cheaper than gutting everything and going with their coilpack setup, if it is possible.

Thanks!!

Guest Andrew240

Actually, I think I answered my own question. If I use the stock distributor, I'd have to run an MSD box. So what I need is the EM6F setup from SDS, which has the coil packs and drivers, to avoid using external ignition. Right?

I would think for the cost as well you would be better of getting that too. I mean if you look at it, by the time you buy an MSD box and hook it up, your about there already as it is with the cost of going with the SDS w/coil packs.

To me the answer is clear!

Spork is right on, that will be the hardest just making sure you have it exactly right. After that, the rest is a cake walk, dont let the sound of it turn you away from a great system with endless possiblities.

• 6 months later...

This thread is a bit old but I just wanted to add that I am probably going to use the SDS system and my only worries were mounting the magnets and pickup bracket also. I would imagine that once I get into it, it's not hard considering all the other work I have done in the past.

I am considering mounting the magnets to the flywheel. Would it be OK to cut a small notch out of the bell housing to allow the bracket to be mounted and adjusted without dropping the trans?

Also, would the magnets, drilled into the flywheel, throw off balance enough to worry about?