HybridZ

rear disks onto a 240, what's the full recipe?

OK, looking into rear disk brakes for my dad's 240z. I looked at your site Mike but wasn't clear if those '81 maxima brackets were available or if you sell a bracket to make ZX stuff bolt on out back, the rest looked fine. If so great, just let me know the cost/welding is not preferred.

Any other options? I searched archives but missed finding what I thought Alsil had detailed for an upgrade.

Guest scca

i dont have any maxima brackets, i have had 3 people willing to pay a reasonable price in the last few weeks so making a few sets may be a possibility...

if you can find maxima brackets new i think $150 pr is fair. i know nissan is less but finding them is the hard part.

if i make them they will be $150, considering zquip ones a long time ago were $125 i dont think $150 is out of line.

I keep meaning to put up a "rear brakes" page, but still haven't done it. I have some pics at http://240z.jeromio.com/images

RearCaliperBracket2.JPG

RearCaliperBracket3.JPG

I made the brackets from this drawing (originally found on Pete Paraska's site):

RearDiscBracketSized.JPG

I under-estimated how much work it would be to fabricate the brackets. That half inch plate is not easy to work with. I used a honkin' plasma torch to cut out the pieces, but the cuts were really crappy. My friend's $8000 torch was no match for that thick plate. So then I spent much time grinding and shaping.

Also, not having a good machine-shop style drill press hurt me. The holes need to be perfect and mine were not - had to weld some of them in and try again. Aluminum would have been a much better material to work with, but I don't own a heli-arc or a TiG, so, that was out.

I'm poor, but I would definately rather have spent $150 on some brackets rather than gone thru all that hassle.

quote:

Originally posted by Owen:

Some guy on zcar.com emailed me pix of his brackets recently. He says theyre for the earlier ZX brakes but the pictures definitely showed an offset bracket, is he right and I'm wrong?

]http://www.zcar.com/forums/read.php?f=1&i=187879&t=187606[/QB]

[/url]

I don't see any statement you've made to either validate or correct Owen icon_smile.gif

Either bracket drawing I look at has an offset. Ron's has 1/8" if I'm assuming it goes on the right way. Otherwise .5". The other 'surrounding' bracket doesn't spec complete thicknesses dimensions on that drawing posted.

Guest Anonymous

Mike --

What about 3 bolts? Seems like you might get more stability, and if you cut the big inner circle on a tangent at 2 opposite bolt holes....

And (Jeromio?) why 1/2" plate? Since the end result is a bracket where the calipers mount on the same plane as the bracket (yes?), why not 3/8" or even 1/4"? Easier to work with, lighter, cheaper - stiff enough?

One more Q - I can see by the drawing that the "ears" have to be offset out beyond the mounting surface - would a flat stamped piece that bends in a straight line at the farthest reach of the offset give enough space for the caliper to mount? Just curious - a piece of flat steel stamped to shape and then drilled would be a much less expensive part, but I haven't done the trial and error fitting and fretting to make the pieces work.

Guest scca

1/4" is more than sufficient...

there isnt enough room to make a stamped bracket- it must bend within a small area. either a milled piece or 2 pieces welded to gether would be the easiest i think.

why 3 bolts? the calipers only attach with 2- why would you need more to bolt the bracket to the hub?

"its only as strong as the weakest link"

as for the "newguy" his email is zbrakezbrake @hotmail.com. (or soemthing like that) anonymous email accounts bother me... he's replied to me 3x or so but he hasnt done more than 1 yet. and he seems stuck on using 79 calipers -- i dont know why..

the brackets look nice but still gotta remove the stub--

i would like to see a bracket to use the 82 caliper with the availability to use the 240sx caliper as well (with a small add on spacer) then there is choice.. and not using the Fugly 79-81 caliper. and on top the 79 i cant get a 5 lug rotor to fit..

Guest scca

oh yea side note...

Ross how fast is your car at seattle..

i did a 1:39:1 last week in the new LITTLE 4 banger.. icon_smile.gif i think i will get to 1:37 as well by the next race..

quote:

Originally posted by scca:

1/4" is more than sufficient...

there isnt enough room to make a stamped bracket- it must bend within a small area. either a milled piece or 2 pieces welded to gether would be the easiest i think.

the brackets look nice but still gotta remove the stub--

i would like to see a bracket to use the 82 caliper with the availability to use the 240sx caliper as well (with a small add on spacer) then there is choice.. and not using the Fugly 79-81 caliper. and on top the 79 i cant get a 5 lug rotor to fit..

Mike, have you got a drawing of this piece as you'd like to see it made? Or dimensions to alter on an existing drawing like Ron Tylers? I met up with a CNC shop owner today who seemed very receptive and surprisingly cost effective IMO. Maybe our canuck dollar helps a lot over US costs/sure does on engine builders/machinging, I'm not sure but could knock off lots of parts/caster/camber plates etc etc saving money on existing aftermarket offerings in our hour or more long discussion. Not looking to compete with anyone but if the product can be significantly cheaper it'd be great to see more able to use it. It's these pricey high end parts few can justify with such profit built in (baer brake kits/MSA etc) that annoy me. Motorsports is so much fun I'd love to see tons more involved/it'll only benefit the sport greatly.

No great number of pieces needed at this place. It's obviously cheaper the 2nd run or so if the 1st isn't so large. 20 pieces seemed like a fine 1st run, if more were spoken for it could obviously be expanded. I gave him Ron Tyler's diagram just as a ballpark concept thinking the upper pair of holes would have the '82 caliper spacing and a different offset. He was going to just do a quick program to estimate machine time so we'd have a good cost idea. It'd be quite simple on the CNC made of one piece (no weld quality questions) and better looking as well.

Mike, if the 240sx caliper has slightly different spacing it'd be no extra dough to have a couple holes drilled/tapped to secure small spacers if needed for the 200SX calipers to provide some piece of mind to those DIY's. I watched a helluva directional drilling piece made in just over 3 minutes from scratch which involved a fair number of steps. Impressive equipment icon_eek.gif

Scottie, you mentioned not wanting to organize any group purchase which I understand. I've done it before and appreciate the time/details. As such I have no trouble getting a quote on this end as well if noone else has it nailed down at decent pricing. I'd coordinate the GP no trouble (if done here/I don't want to communicate, coordinate with someone on your end). I'll be having some bits done anyhow and enjoyed the visit icon_smile.gif

PS Mike you mention a rotor to fit 5 lug... this is meant to be bolt on for a 4 lug setup right? using stock ZX stuff, and then 5 lug with the rotors you supply, is that correct? Because one can just drill the early rotors for 5lug if that's a desireable option (like I did for my rear 5lug conversion).

Guest scca

well yours look just like the oem one now!

PITA huh...

"if" i make them they will be only 2 bolts on the hub to make them bolt on withOUT taking off the stub axle...

OK, yeah, just answered a 'q' I put as this thread got split up (pet peeve). So ideal would be a bolt on bracket for late ZX calipers? This drawing does not truly exist yet or does it?? If not the main unknown is the radial spacing b/t the OE hub 2.364" hole pattern (60.0mm) and the ZX caliper pattern of 4.48" (~113.8mm) correct? Both patterns are radiused from the same centre point it appears.

I agree that hub removal bracket is a bit of work....for a homebody I'd of guessed using one flat rectangular plate and drilling all holes, then milling one side for hub relief and then milling other (but is their anything behind here??) and finally cutting out the pattern & tapping the final holes would have been simplest.