HybridZ

To shorten or not to shorten?

Poundz9oh9

OK, I got everything bolted up with the T56. I just put the old driveshaft from the 700R4 in and this is what it looks like.

driveshaft1.jpg

Do you guys think it'll be ok? Or should I shorten it? The rubber seal on the T56 obviously is touching the front of the yoke. It still has a little room to move. Maybe 1/4" - 1/2". It's basically JUST enough room to let the driveshaft in and out when bolting it up to the rear end.

Opinions???

well, the main thing that I didn't like is that, that dust seal is actually riding on the front of the yoke. But, I don't really want to spend the money on shortening the driveshaft if I don't have to. I've already done it once when I put the old tranny in.

That rubber dust seal sits about 3/4"~1" behind the main oil seal (as you probly already know), I have removed it from some of my Transmissions over the years, also G/box manufactures have to cover all types of users, Clean City driving or Dusty/muddy Dirt road Use, well maintained or abused, and will within reason try to make their product as reliable as possible, and this dust seal is just one of these areas that can be removed if the conditions are right, only you will know if you will need this dust seal.

Personaly I would remove it! and save the time and money required to shorten the Drive Shaft. (spend it on something useful)

Also I have had the driveshaft rubbing on the dust seal and all it did was slowly wear it away, this was why I have also removed them from other g/boxes.