HybridZ

Steering rack conversion

Guest JAMIE T

Guest JAMIE T

I was checking out Alsils Rack conversion. I noticed that the tie rods are angled down to reach the steering arm. Also while looking under my car, the tie rods have a bend in them(down) Now, this information may seem trivial to long time Z owners, but I am a newbie of sorts. With that out of the way, my question is, with Alsils(and BlueovalZ's)Mustang rack conversion, can the rack be lowered to make the tie rods level with the ground at ride height. Would this help reduce bumpsteer. I would like to thank Alsil for his detailed rack conversion. I have mustang racks coming out of my ears, I have bought many wrecked mustangs and stripped the good parts from them.

Jamie,

Deathstar

The angle of the tie rods themselves is not nearly as important as the relative angle and position of the tie rods compared to the lower control arms (specifically, the line that connects the inner control arm pivot point to the ball joint pivot point) position. Simplistically, if the control arm has a downward stance, then it would not be out of the question to have the tie rods with the same downward stance (Plus, the car may have been jacked up a bit so the picture could be taken, causing this stance), and being roughly parallel. This is not the whole picture on correct geometry, but we have just finished a pretty good string about this subject and can most likely be found under the "search" feature. This will give a little more detail on a more ideal geometry. icon_wink.gif

Terry

Thanks for the good words about my page. As far as the bumpsteer problem, so far I have had none, it seems to be very stable. The tie rods on the Z are a bit smaller than the Mustang ones height wise. So they sit a little lower than the stock ones. There is a little difference between the angles of the control arms to tie rods, but I have had no problems with this, like I said. There is enough room for the rack to be dropped a little (maybe an inch) but not much. This might help if there is a problem.

AL

Guest JAMIE T

Thanks guys, I was asking about this to see if dropping(lowering) the rack would cause any geometry problems. If it could stand to be lowered an inch as Alsil said, then it would free up some space in that location for problematic conversions(i.e. Northstars icon_wink.gif ) This is a big honkin' engine and I would like for it to set as low in the chassis as I can make it. Thanks again.

Jamie

Deathstar