HybridZ

another of my ideas...TBI on SU intakes

OlderThanMe

so since I am going to be going with megasquirt and doing everything custom I was thinking...

Take my current SU intake manifolds and put TBI on both of them. This would be combined with a turbo...

I did a quick search but nothing came up. It would be different and get the "what the heck is that" look.

Just something that came from sitting around too much.

That's really not too bad, $282.79 per throttle body...I see they sell su air horns for $13 too...that's the cheapest I've ever seen those. These probably don't include the injectors though. I only paid $200 for my z (the guy I got it from got it for free), so I have a hard time spending a lot on any single part. "That cost more than my whole car!" is a favorite of mine when people are trying to sell me stuff. Works great. I think Starion/Conquest throttle bodies might be the way to go, since they are out there, and they are already 1-barrell tbi throttles with 2 injectors per unit. Plus those engines were 2.6L, so even 1 draw through would be enough to feed your whole engine requirements.

I pulled up the price list from twm and it said they were 280 or whatever, maybe I had the jobber price list. $1500 was what I was expecting it to cost, but I'm sure that came with fuel rails and injectors and linkages and whatnot. They also make weber replacements for doing the tripple double throttle bodies.

yes that was the bolt on SU replacement kit. I'm going to look on Evilbay for some of those starion TBI's

I wonder if you can put a standard chevy TBI like this one sideways so that it will mount easily. Then run a Y-pipe and runners to each intake manifold

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SBC-46mm-TBI-bored-throttle-body-590cfm-340hp-350-383_W0QQitemZ260024011718QQihZ016QQcategoryZ38634QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I was thinking about doing something similar, but instead of having TBI, I was going to use the SU manifold and port the end of the runners so I could still have direct port injection. Then I was thinking I would use two stock EFI 50m TBs to replace where the carbs were. that might be a cheaper way to go assuming you can find some stock TBs easily.

moby...that is VEWY VEWY intewesting..:-)

so some basics here... TBI has injectors at the throttle body but then there is a throttle body with direct port injection. How is TBI so different than a carb? just sinced I am EFI dumb...I have my roundtops sitting on a table in my garage doing nothing...and an old busted mechanical fuel pump I could gut out to complete the look.

just if I had some flat tops...

has any body looked at the carb manifold from a performance stand point? I know everyone says that the stock efin mani is a pretty poor design, but is that true of the carb mani as well? it looks a bit better than the efi one, but i was wondering other peoples opinions on it..

The tubes on the su manifold are visibly larger than the efi runners. I think the ultimate way to do it is like the Wangan tripple carb turbo, but with the fuel injection throttle bodies on it; but we started this topic as a way to save a little money unless I missed the point somewhere.