HybridZ

TBI vs Port Injection

zane9000

I was just curious about peoples opinion on which is better. This is meant for a street driven car that I am building for performance. Emissions is not an issue, I am asking stricktly from a performance stand point. I am running a megasquirt so I will have full control over how the fuel is injected.

From a performance standpoint, Port injection would give you a more accurate fuel delivery to each cylinder. There were a lot of factory cars equipped with TBI, but not too many of them were performance oriented that I can think of (except the starion/conquest). If you've already got an L28et, and megasquirt, I'd think you would be ahead of the game instead of trying to retrofit some kind of TBI getup on there.

As someone who is currently moving from TBI to MPFI, I can tell you that, in terms of performance, everything else being the same (and here I'm thinking airflow), they're - different. Tuning a "wet manifold", per TBI, causes the system to behave much like a carburetor, in that there's a fuel charge present even after you've shut off the injectors. This is most evident in transitions on/off throttle. "Dry" manifolds, per MPFI, have no such behavior, making them (perhaps) more controllable under those conditions. That said, there's a lot to be thankful for with fewer components. For my swap, I installed a Holley StealthRam and a new computer, a GM '7730, so I'm having to learn a new (and much more complex but complete) environment. BTW, the car is no faster (at this point) than it was with the TBI, but I have a *lot* of tuning to do.

that's true. specifically i am asking because now I'm am wondering where I should put the injectors on the SU manifold that I am converting to EFI. I had originally planed to do port injection but after olderthanme's thread I got to thinking about the possible benefits of TBI.

Well, there were some good ideas being kicked around on the thread you are referencing (most of which were mine, eat your heart out, OTM! j/k). I think if you are shooting for ultimate performance, putting them in the same location they came on the fuel injected cars would be worthwhile. You might as well switch to o-ring style, to open up your options with aftermarket injectors.

well, I AM going to have to go with the dual throttle body SU set up to get my supercharger to work (long story) so since I have to do some customizing anyway, I was just wondering which way would be better in the long run. But I think I will just drill 6 holes at the base of the runners so I can still use my fuel rail that has the stock positions on it.