HybridZ

cut and replace or strip and clean?

Guest kpham1

The window lip can be fixed... but it will involve cutting out even more than you see there... If you had a "donor car" then you could piece together that profile from another edge in good shape from the donor.. that can be a tough area to deal with... but it is almost always present... a good body shop can fix it... that kind of repair would be several extra hours of time on top of a complete tear down and repaint....

The worst thing for somone to do is treat it with rust converter and bondo over it.. there is a lot of damage going on INSIDE the lip... up in the far corners of the upper trunk area... The rust will continue to spread unless the area is cleaned inside and out...

The trunklid is no big deal...

The rear quarter damage is low to the ground and is usually covered with a bumper... you can pound it back into shape and use filler to smooth it out...

again... this is a job for someone with more than one hammer in his box... if anyone tries to reshape the rear quarter with bondo it will crack and fall out the first time it is flexed....

Guest kpham1
no, make sure the body is solid, body pannels can be easily replaced. if the body (floorpans, trunk pan etc) (are) is good then worry about the quarter on the dime later
thats the only bad part on the car.

the first 510 I had's floor was rusted out badly. it had a clean rust free exterior though.

this time around the floors have no rust at all and the only bad parts are pictured there (I'm assuming there's more hidden rust) but the trunk interior is rust free as well, as far as my eye can see. I have a car that might be cut up for the body panels needed.