HybridZ

LS1 piston rings

yes, nobody on LS1 tech knows.

It's always funny to read on that forum, everybody knows everything until you ask for something specific.

The manufacturer's mark is supose to be facing up, that is for sure. I am not sure as to the order, but the LS1 performance book I have says that the tapered ring is in the second position so that leads me to the square ring being on top. Gaps should be rotated 180 and 90 degrees from ring to ring.

Are you filing to fit? What gap are you going with?

One of my friends dissassembled an LS1 with 13k miles on it (factory) and the rings weren't gapped 180* or 90* on all the pistons. He found it really weird.

Just an FYI

Mario

They dont stay 180 or 90. But for assembly purposes it help keep a seal. They will roatate while the motor is running.

Lason is right the ring spin over time...it does not hurt anything...What kind of rings are you using?? I could'nt find any from gm, I used perfect circle. I think you did everything correct, I could'nt find my box instructions but know the dot always faces up and if only one ring is beveled it's the second ring, which is usually a darker color.

i got them from GM parts direct. around $145 to my door for a complete set.

now that i know i got the rings all right im going to put the other 6 pistons in this weekend, along with putting in the cam, timing chain, oil pump and putting on the oil pan :D i need to get valve springs and headgaskets and pushrods and my motor will be all together.. i cant wait

that reminds me, anybody buy multi layered steel headgaskets? if so where did you buy them from and how much.