HybridZ

Your recommendation for paint in the Houston area

HoustonZ

Do anyone know of a decent shop for getting my 280z repainted in the Houston area? I'm a college student, so obviously the multi-thousand dollar jobs are out of my range, but I definitely don't want a roll on job either. I would be fine with doing as much disassembly and prep work as I can to cut down on the final cost. It's just the actual process of spraying which I lack the skills and equipment for.

As strange as it may seem to say this....better get MaCo!

Hang on, hang on. Heres the deal.

I used them once and they are willing to work with you. The reason that there is a stigma attached to MaCo is that they advertise a cheap paint job to pull customers in. What they really want to do is sell you a better paint job. Most folks are dead set on the $299. job so thats a large portion of what wanders the street.

The $299. is a scuff it and spray it deal. No clear coat, no prep, no prime and they "tape" it.

You tell them what you want and they will do it.

An example: In fort Worth Texas I bought a slightly hail damaged Baja Bug (VW). I told them I was going to prep and prime it. I asked if I could get two coats and trailer it home, color sand, bring it back for a coat of clear and oh by the way.....I want to do the tape. They said...OK your the boss. It really didn't look that strange to see me in the parking lot a few days later laying tape in the hot Texas sun!

If you said that you wanted 3 coats wet sand with two coats of clear they will say OK. Ask them for a show quality paint finish with zero blemishes, they will say OK.

They paint cars and dont really care if you want to spend 300 or 7000. As long as you spend. They also use bake ovens that can do alot for a tight smooth finish.

Thats my experience with em. The Bug...looked pretty damn good. That was ten years ago when they had the 199 paint special but, I spent around 700.00. The same paint job today would be around 1700 to 2000. Yep, I checked.

Custom painters can be difficult to deal with sometimes! Gotta have an ace in the hole!!!:cheers:

PS They will even paint a dissasembled car. For a fee of course.

Yep I have heard some good stuff about Maaco as well as long as you tell them what you want and explain your willing to pay for it.

On the flip side I had a buddy that took a '79 mustang to them to get the $299 job. It was a track car so perfection wasnt needed or expected. He pulled all the lights, door handles, etc out and did a lil body work here and there. He got it back found a bunch of runs and even a spot they missed with color. Took it back and they redid it for free. Fast foward 2 more re-do's he finally got a real good paint job and the manager apologized for all teh trouble. He didnt really care but when he pointed it out the manager offered to re-do it. I wouldnt expect that from all the stores but this manager went the extra mile.