HybridZ

Tilton 15/16" clutch master cylinder

When I first installed my LT1/T5 I used a Wilwood 3/4" master cylinder with the stock Camaro slave. I found I had to cut the stop from the floor of the car to get enough pedal travel to disengage the clutch, and then it just barely worked.

I just finished installing a Tilton 15/16" master and want to report that it is a bit stiff but makes for a short throw. The engage/disenage is much quicker than with the 3/4" so slipping the clutch on launch takes bit of practice but shifts are faster.

I think a good comparison is a Ford pickup clutch. Relatively stiff with short a engage/disengage throw and you have to be aware of when

the clutch starts to grab and be ready to rev the engine or you'll kill it.

I bought a Nascar unit with the round casting lugs machined off. The whole kit was $50.00 shipped to my door. It installed very easily, fit right on the stock Datsun mounting studs. I had already modified the clevis for the Wilwood shaft so it fit right on the Tilton.

My experience with it has been good and I'd recommend the 15/16" for use with the Camaro slave if you don't mind a relatively stiff pedal with a short throw.

Wheelman

• 1 month later...

well it looks like the search function is working just fine!

i was looking for a clutch master for my z because it went out(still not driving..and if its one thing its another with these projects) and it appears to be the stock one.

when it did work it felt twitchy and it was leaking.the car has a scarab bellhousing with a hydraulic release for the old 4 speeds..kinda cool!

long story short..

thanks for the info and the write up!

i love this site!

the car is getting soo close!

me_013.jpg

• 5 months later...
When I first installed my LT1/T5 I used a Wilwood 3/4" master cylinder with the stock Camaro slave.

My experience with it has been good and I'd recommend the 15/16" for use with the Camaro slave if you don't mind a relatively stiff pedal with a short throw.

Wheelman

I'm needing to make my stock drivetrain work for a few months before I start my v8 swap. However, I need to replace my Master and Slave cylinders now in order to be driveable. Is there any problems using the above setup (Tilton 15/16" and Camaro slave) on a stock powerplant?

You mentioned using a stock Camaro slave. Is it neccessary to get one from a certain year Camaro? Is there any benefit in going with an aftermarket slave?

Thanks

I would replace it with a stock one untill you do your motor swap.

I have found that results vary with clutch set-ups. While JTR says to use a 3/4" master on the Camaro T-5 slave I had similar results as Wheelman only I could not get the clutch to fully disengage. Switching to a 15/16" unit solved the problem but the action is heavier than I'd like.

Others here have used the T-5 to 3/4" combo with no problems. On the T-56 we used a 3/4" Tilton master with great results.

The ultimate would be an adjustable bore master cylinder but I don't see anyone offering such a product.

I don't think it's even possible to use a Camaro slave with the stock Datsun clutch setup, the slave cylinder mount points are totally different.

Get rebuild kits for the master and slave, especially if you are only going to use them for a few months.

Wheelman