HybridZ

JCI mounts

Guest Crispy Chicken

Guest Crispy Chicken

Just got a ls1 t56 combo for my 73z came with new jci mounts. I was wondering how you guys felt about the jci kit? I looked at a few pictures on here with the same set up. It looks like the JCI mounts sit the engine a little far forward compared to other pictures I've seen of small block/Ls1 set ups. How is the depth? I'm trying to figure out if i want to use the JCI kit or just fab a cradle with a new tranny mount to push the engine as close to the firewall as possible?. Maybe there is an exact reason why they made the JCI kit sit the engine where it is. Does anyone think it would be better to have the engine further back. Is the kit 100% perfect as far as placement / weight distribution? Any advantages or disadvantages to either choice? I know the car is tiny maybe the JCI kit is perfect and completely functional. I might be over analyzing it but, I'm trying to consider every option before dropping the engine in. After it is all said and done. I'll never have to think about it ever again =) thanks for any info or advice!!!

Oh yeah the JCI kit looks to be build very nice by the way..

Derek

Sorry dude, I cant help you when the vets come in here bashing you for not searching. There have been like 5 threads on this in the past 2 weeks.

Ill answer your question though. The JCI kit is pretty nice. Leaves a little room for improvment but all in all pretty good. The motor sits pretty far back there as it is but in order to get the motor back even further it would have to be dropped more to clear the tranny tunnel and that isnt possible considering the balancer is 1/4" from the rack as it is.

A little history for everyone. The JCI kit was made using my car as a prototype so it incorporates features that I felt were important for my car.

1) The T56 shifter comes up inside the original shifter hole in the 280Z. It is about 1/2" forward of the stock Datsun T5 location. This is because of,

2) There is enough room between the engine and the firewall to access the vacuum ports on the back of the LS1 and also route the water lines for the heater and the refrigerant lines for the AC through their stock locations.

3) Height is determined by what is required for the engine to clear the stock front cross-member in that specific fore-aft position.

4) The driver side motor mount has a hole in it for the steerig shaft because I required that the steering mechanism not be messed with.

5) The engine is offset to the passsenger side slightly to maintain the original weight bias of the L28, R200 alignment, and to aid in header clearance on the drivers side.