HybridZ

MM adaptors with 280ZXT CV problem

VinhZXT

C'mon guys. I know many of you used the CV adaptors with your LSD in your Z. My car is a 77 280Z and I am using the 3.7 clutch LSD. The passenger side half shaft is OK but the driver side will not go in and from the way it looks even if it goes in it will bind if I lower the car down. Did I do something wrong here? The shorter half shaft won't fit on the driver side. Thanks for any help.

Vinh

have 72 240 with this set-up......when initialling same could'nt get driver's side cv shaft in at all. talked to Ross C. and he assured me that it would work. finally had to dismount inner arm brackets and swing the whole suspension forward to get it in. once installed .....no problemo. good luck with yours. John Turner

Hi Vinh,

I installed the MM cv adapters (not the billet ones but the ones they weld to the stub axle) and it was a tight fit. I did not think I would get the inner control arms to bolt back up but I kept trying and prying everything and they just barely made it. I thought the axles would bind when I got it back down on the ground but they haven't and everything is working great. BTW this is a pair of 83 ZXT 2+2 axles into a 73 240Z and I did not switch driver/passenger sides or do anything else unusual.

Good Luck!

Bind occurs at full droop. As the rear susp compresses, the distance betw. the diff and the hub increases. So installation is a bit harder b/c the shaft has to be compressed. I always disconnect the arms when working on the shafts - I don't know how you could do it otherwise.

On a similar note, I bought a rebuilt passenger side shaft from Rockauto. It had the correct nose - fit in the diff with a nice click. But the shaft was too long by an inch (compared to the old shaft). I figured maybe my boots/CVs on the old shaft might be making it have a shorter length in the "relaxed" state, so I tried to install the new shaft anyway. No go. Had to return the stupid thing. Also, I was going to replace the driver's shaft too "while I was at it" (torn boot on pass. side, driver's is okay, but old). No one has the driver's side shaft.

OK got them both in tonight. Yup I had to remove the rear mounting bolts of the A-arms then twist the arm out a bit to get them in. I didn't hav to remove the front bolts of the A-arm. This helped puting the arm back very easy.

V8Z,

Wow remove the strut mounting bolts sound like a big deal for this. Thanks for the responses.

Vinh