HybridZ

1977 280Z final stages

Guest Minkler420

Guest Minkler420

ok so i'm restoring my factory 280Z to it's original state...well as much as i can. i put in a new radiator, i also did the 300ZX alternator switchout. new bushings, valve adjustment, new bosch fuel injectors and caps, new distributor and cap w/ new plugs, it's in great running condition, except the trans. i'm not looking for something to race. i'll save my stock R32 for that. (i like 'em stock, unless i had more money.haha) i have a great deal of fun in this 280Z but i think i'm REALLY hard on the trans.:P this is the third rebuilt trans i've had. i HATE the way these trans. are built and the linkage sux balls. i was looking at jericho transmissions, but it doesn't look like i would have a fat chance of getting that piece of 5-speed art into my car. i just wanna know what i need to look for in my next trans. so that i can install my short throw shifter, and push my z to the limits. everyone tells me u can't drift a stock 280Z, i say i already do @ 75 approx around 30 deg. hairpins (entrance speed)(exiting anywhere from 30-50 or so) i'm not a racer, but i love the feeling of looking out that side view window and seeing the road straight ahead. so help me try to kill myself, and tell me what the perfect trans is please.:-D

Standard practice on the S30's is to get the 5-spd and R200 out of an 81-83 S130 and install. The combination gives you the same pull in 1st & 2nd, a stronger 3rd & 4th and an excellent overdrive 5th. I did it with my '77 and my only regret was not doing it sooner. CAUTION: If you install the 81-83ZX 5-spd you MUST have a 3.90 R200. If you stay with the stock '77 3.54 R200 your accelleration will be crap.