HybridZ

280zx progress (warning lota pics)

roninjiro

well since everyone else is doing it, i guess i could prove to you at the moment my car indeed does look like crap and thats what makes my car unique.

DSCN3890.JPG

DSCN4137.JPG

DSCN4131.JPG

DSCN4136.JPG

DSCN4133.JPG

DSCN4138.JPG

Im going to paint it black, add 17x9 all the way round. custom 450lb coilovers, w/ new shocks, brute power clsd, camber plates, have new bucket seats w/ 4 points, and yaddy yaddy ya. just trying to keep it simple

I'm DREADING body work on my car.... :|

Why dont you PM me since you live in florida and I'll do the body for you!! I love Z's and I have a top notch facility in Ocala. I think your probably only an hr away or so. I'm alway happy to help out a fellow Z enthusiast so dont worry about me try'n to rape you on the price.:wink:

you know what, you are right, i used to be the same way. so screw the 240 as if i do get it it will only be a daily driver. as for my zx, that has always been "MY SECOND WIFE". thanx for reminding me that also, i just saw this thread and it further assures me to continue full steam ahead.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=81888

The thing that I think makes the S130 less desirable, mostly, is the rear suspension.

I had one and Im telling you the way that thing felt when you cornered hard, made you feel like you could reach out of your window and touch the arse of the car.

Aside from that I love the S130.

The thing that I think makes the S130 less desirable, mostly, is the rear suspension.

I had one and Im telling you the way that thing felt when you cornered hard, made you feel like you could reach out of your window and touch the arse of the car.

Aside from that I love the S130.

They have thier problems with out a doubt but thats why we have this woderful site...Upgrade time!!:2thumbs: My buudies zx can out corner my 944 porsche and thats no small feat!

thanx for that guys. b/f when i first started me 280zx project 4 years ago, no one would help me and told me get rid of it and get a s30 and i said no. well, after a forum (not goin to mention name) had a thread going that said "somebody shoot this z" and i thought i was something stupid so i read it. that "z" was my 280zx. it broke my heart and i fought in the thread and couldnt win. i sold that z soon after b/c of it:( . all it was that made my z "ugly" was that i custom fabbed a side mount radiator <---- thats all. i really hate those guys for doing that to me b/c that was my first car. anyhow, i later bought it back lucky, but it was too late, it was trashed beyond repair. i later had that car stripped down and crushed.

(just to note, i managed to get 11k rpm out of the l28 i built for it with SU carburetors, should have saw my face. i wasnt making power up there but it was a sight to see)

the next 2 280zx i bought were a package deal. 1 parts car, 1 blown head. i stripped the parts car at the guys business and had it sent away. the other is the current car i have now with the engine from my first z in there (never sold engine when sold first car, held on to it). this car is undergoing body and suspension work.

my last z was a complete rust bucket i got for $200, shortly after the purchase i sold it (wasnt worth fixing, needed a complete body)

as you can see i have been a strong believer in the 280zx, but i dont see many people were in to it as i was so i figured i better get a s30. but now the only way i will buy that car is if the price is right. but my s130 is "THE CAR" for me.

also incase anyone is interested, i do plan on designing and building a different style of rear suspension similar to the s30s as i used to work at a machine shop, if you have ideas shoot me a pm. i also think that the r. suspension has faulty points. if i dont redesign it i will make parts to improve it which makes it easier on everyone

btw here are the seats i will be using. the lighting is all jacked up so they look faded<--------------they are not, they are pitch black with red stitching. i hate red btw, but i didnt have a choice, and the harnesses i ordered were blk, and they sent red, ironic? i think so . so the theme is blk and red now. i just have to let it grow on me.

DSCN4230.JPG

mine looks about the same, only I have progressed to the priming stage. I found a bunch of rust holes on the back rear quarter, and alot of bondo work behind the rear wheels on the quarters. I bumped up that ZG flare on a 280ZX thread because that's what I'm going to do to mine - just get the ZG flares to cover up my bondo fenders. I'm going with the color scheme that this guy did.

Mine without paint:

bodywork001largefk0.jpg

Mine as it sits today with everything primed except the bad rust spots in the back:

bodywork008largezp0.jpg

you are doing it the right way, i on the other had just dont have time and havent found a quick way to strip the paint all the way down, tried wirebrush, and aircraft remover. and both have sorry results. wirebrush=too long to do whole car; remover=too much money. you cant see it in the photos but this zx i have is a rusty sucka, rear quarters, half my floorpans, and not to mention the hole my spare tire fell through; but im cutting and welding in new sheet metal so who cares. btw i was wondering the same about the zg flares also, you should do a write up when you do it, thats if you beat me too it :)